Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Nostalgia & History > #5 Detoured over CNW with E-8 on pt for cab signals,1993!

Date: 01/10/17 07:34
#5 Detoured over CNW with E-8 on pt for cab signals,1993!
Author: slacks

During the bad flooding in the midwest most all routes were affected, but CNW CHI-OMAHA route held out longer than most and as a result had a vast amount of detours. Amt Zephyr was a daily treat, and to satisfy ATC needs Metra ex-CNW E-8,s were used as pt power. They were to be isolated for the trip to Omaha, but most hoggers put them online and blew the carbon out of them.Here is #5 departing Clinton. The E unit would come off at Omaha then wait for #6 to lead back.

Date: 01/10/17 07:49
Re: #5 Detoured over CNW with E-8 on pt for cab signals,1993!
Author: cabman

That was a very depressing summer in many respects, but not for trainwatching on CNW.

Date: 01/10/17 15:29
Author: WichitaJct

I felt bad for the many people affected by the flood, but I lived in Champaign Illinois at the time and it was a real treat to see Santa Fe warbonnets detoured on the IC. 

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was a very depressing summer in many
> respects, but not for trainwatching on CNW.

Date: 01/11/17 19:18
Author: chakk

Was riding #4 from Flagstaff to Chicago (then #7 to St Paul) with my kids during the early days of those floods. Our train was annulled in Albuquerque and Amtrak flew all of us to Minnesota at their expense. I bet our one-way airfare was more than our total Amtrak fare.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0255 seconds