3. GM&O E7A @ St. Louis 8/18/73 by Dick Wallin
3 more to follow

Date: 01/10/17 07:39
Re: 6 E units: C&O, FEC, GM&O, IC, MILW, MP
Author: valmont

4. IC E6A # 4001 @ Chicago 3/70 by Owen Leander
5. MILW E7A #18B
6. MP #E7A (is it?) #7008

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/17 07:42 by valmont.

Date: 01/10/17 08:03
Author: gbmott

Yes, MoPac 7008 is an E-7A -- the portholes were unique to MP/TP and were used on E-3s, E-6s and E-7s.  EMD saved them the bother by making portholes standard on their E-8s!  Portholes were also a signature feature on many of their lightweight passenger cars, especially prominent as the corridor-side windows on diners and dormitory cars.

Gordon

Date: 01/10/17 08:22
Author: tomstp

Look at the number boards on Milw.  18B.  Apparently came with ones on the left.  They just added the  ones on the right instead of removing the old ones.

Date: 01/10/17 08:23
Author: valmont

gbmott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, MoPac 7008 is an E-7A -- the portholes were
> unique to MP/TP and were used on E-3s, E-6s and
> E-7s.  EMD saved them the bother by making
> portholes standard on their E-8s!  Portholes were
> also a signature feature on many of
> their lightweight passenger cars, especially
> prominent as the corridor-side windows on diners
> and dormitory cars.
>
> Gordon

Thanks for that, I knew I saw a reference to this varaiation somewhere, and your post reminded me where I might have seen it,  so I just checked my original DSG and found the info there too ...

Date: 01/10/17 08:50
Author: YukonYeti

Really good stuff!

YY

Date: 01/10/17 09:54
Author: TCnR

Great material for comparisons. The Milwaukee E7 looks like it has all the factory options, although it must be custom work. Even the steam generator exhasut has been modified. Nice clean looking paint, for another one of those plans that seemed like a great idea at the time but didn't really work out.

Every one of the examples has nice clean paint, great photos.

Date: 01/10/17 10:24
Author: retcsxcfm

FEC strike train by either Ken or Keith Ardinger.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 01/10/17 10:53
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch, that FEC sure looks like a model and doesn't look like a main line?
JB

Date: 01/10/17 11:39
Author: BuddPullman

I understand the MP E7s are arriving Kansas City Union Station. The photographer is standing on the former Broadway Bridge, which was an excellent viewing spot for trains arriving and departing from Union Station!

Date: 01/10/17 12:18
Author: SCKP187

Great material shown.  I never got to see any of these units when I was growing up, and they were gone by the time I could drive to different areas of the country.  Thanks for showing them.
Brian Stevens

Date: 01/10/17 14:03
Author: NCA1022

Thanks for posting.  They all look great!

IC 4001 lasted up until Amtrak.  I think it ran paired back-to-back with IC's only other operable E6 on the last Chicago-Springfield, IL Governor's Special train on 4/30/71.  The Governor's Special was the last truncated remnant of IC's Chicago to St. Louis service.  Lots of post-delivery modifications to the 4001 by the IC, including:

E8/9-style numberboards surgically inserted into the nose.  IC's way of dealing with the too-small stock EMD E6 numberboards.  The Milw E has add-on numberboards for the same reason.  Kind of a hack job, in my opinion since the curvatures are so different.   Woulda looked better of they used the standard protruding square boxes like on F-units.

IC also relocated the marker lights to be above the new numberboards. 

Walkway ledges from each cab door to allow access to the top of the nose for window cleaning.

EMD E8 "freight"style pilot and draft gear grafted onto the front, in place of the standard streamlined E-6 pilot.  This addition resulted in a "shelf" above the anti-climber due to the different curvature geometry between the E-6 nose and the E8 pilots.

Replaced the original fuel tanks with ones identical to their E8s

Replaced the standard square side windows with a unique set of portholes and carbody vents.

- Norm

Date: 01/10/17 16:57
Author: DTrainshooter

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great bunch, that FEC sure looks like a model and
> doesn't look like a main line?
> JB

It's at Hialeah (Miami) Yard...

Date: 01/11/17 07:55
Author: cabman

That's the best photo of MILW 18B that I've ever seen!  I will store a copy in my Proto 2000 by Walthers box for the same loco.  They did a wonderful job of capturing all the details. I only wish the OP could have possted the date and place for the shot. Thanks anyway.

Date: 01/11/17 14:26
Author: BLKMTN

Yes, FEC #1031-1035 were E9s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds