Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Nostalgia & History > Home town RR and team colors

Date: 01/15/17 18:18
Home town RR and team colors
Author: NCA1022

Maybe slightly off topic, but maybe not...

Since both Green Bay and Kansas City are both in the NFL playoffs today, I've often wondered if their team colors were influenced by their home town railroads. If you replaced the "G" logo on the Packers' helmets with the C&NW logo they'd sure look like the company football team.

Kansas City colors are awfully close to the Santa Fe's passenger warbonnet scheme, using yellow instead of gold as the trim color. Yeah I know they should have silver pants instead of white, but it's awfully close.

What do you think? Any other teams sharing color schemes with their hometown railroads?

- Norm

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/17 18:43
Re: Home town RR and team colors
Author: Alexmarissa

I've heard that the Packers adopted the C&NW colors since that RR served Green Bay, but I don't recall the source of the story.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/17 19:50
Author: santafe199

NCA1022 Wrote: > ...  Kansas City colors are awfully close to the Santa Fe's passenger warbonnet scheme ...
Yeah kinda close, but for me the real connection has always been the Chief name being used as the team mascot. Who knows what Mr Hunt was thinking when he moved his Dallas Texans up to Kansas City in 1963 and renamed then the Chiefs...

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/17 19:50 by santafe199.

Date: 01/16/17 05:50
Author: KingCoal

Indiana University colors are crimson and cream.  They are usually shown as red and white.  The Indiana Rail Road Company colors are red and white.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/17 05:50 by KingCoal.

Date: 01/16/17 06:29
Author: Lackawanna484

Didn't the Paducah & Lousiville paint one loco for the Univ of Kentucky and another for the Univ of Louisville?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/16/17 11:53
Author: JasonCNW

I heard that the Iowa Interstate Railroad chose it's black gold and red paint scheme to incorporate the colors of both of Iowans 2 major Universitys.
JC

Posted from Android

Date: 01/17/17 22:27
Author: jridge

Monon-
Per Wikipedia - The red and white of Wabash College (and similar to the colors of Indiana University) was used on the railroad's passenger equipment, and the black and gold used by both DePauw University and Purdue University adorned the railroad's diesel freight locomotives and later replaced the red and white on passenger equipment as well.

Jeff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds