Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Nostalgia & History > Holland Rail Weld #401

Date: 01/16/17 15:04
Holland Rail Weld #401
Author: Arkrail

Some slides never fit into an inventory system and disappear for decades before resurfacing, usually during a search for something totally unrelated.  Such is the case with this photo of Holland Railweld #401, pictured at the MoPac's Pike Avenue Shops in North Little Rock in March 1967.  The car is obviously a former postal car, but I doubt that it is a former MP car, and I have no idea what it was doing at the locomotive shops.  Can anyone provide information on the ancestry of this car?  I presume that it has long since been converted into razor blades.

Date: 01/16/17 15:13
Re: Holland Rail Weld #401
Author: rrpreservation

I would guess it was used for nothing more than storage for materials, perhaps used for mobile service work.

It's a great find! Thanks for sharing it.

Date: 01/16/17 17:35
Author: Cabhop

Interesting the car still has a steam gut-line and signal line so it looks like it is still setup for passenger train movements.

Date: 01/17/17 14:11
Author: The_Chief_Way

Wonder if that is ex-Frisco?  Look where the lettering may have been painted out.

Date: 01/17/17 17:04
Author: Arkrail

Good observation.  If those scuff marks are where lettering was painted out or removed, Frisco is a very definite possibility.  Frisco had some postal cars in the 2040 series, some of which were converted from postal to baggage, that look like a pretty good match with the Holland Rail Weld car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/17 18:38 by Arkrail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds