Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Nostalgia & History > one for signal Sunday . . .

Date: 01/22/17 06:32
one for signal Sunday . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

.   .   .   here we have the view from the cab of Santa Fe 5057 leading the hot 891 train up Cajon Pass approaching signal 582 on the North Track adjacent famous Hill 582 named after this signal early on a cold snowy morning back in November '87. Picture is not the greatest, power is in run eight. This is the approach signal to Summit, there are now two tracks here called Main One and Main Two, this signal is long gone replaced by a wide multi signal bridge located a few hundred yards west (behind me) of this shot. The good old days of railroading with clear blocks, few "event" recorders, no cameras in cab, friendly management. You definately can't go back.
​JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/17 06:54 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 01/22/17 10:11
Re: one for signal Sunday . . .
Author: SP4360

"Coool" shot. 

Date: 01/22/17 10:12
Author: Seventyfive

Excellent photo!  Shows speed blur as any shot from an 891 train should show,
and every signal in sight for this train had better be Clear, as shown.  
Is the bright white way ahead on the right a reflection off of a sign?

Date: 01/22/17 12:05
Author: dbinterlock

Yep, I got that image burned in my mind, first on the left side of the cab with freezing knees from gaps in the door, then the right side. Different company (UP), same view. Snow is nice.
Right after taking this signal and grinding upgrade slowly, I would get up and weather permitting, step out on the walkway and "water the ballast." The relief, the sounds of the power and brisk wind either hot or cold would spike my alertness as we top over Summit and decend the East side of the pass. With good dispatching, I was fine all the way to Yermo.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds