F3P: D&RGW FT, Erie, DL&W FT
Author: valmont

1. Alamosa, CO c.1960 by Dave Ingles
2. no info
3. Scranton, PA c. 1960 by Bill Volkmer

Date: 01/22/17 06:54
Re: F3P: D&RGW FT, Erie, DL&W FT
Author: njmidland

The photo of the Erie F is really interesting.  That's a Boston & Maine sleeper lurking in the background.

Tim

Date: 01/22/17 07:06
Author: tomcough

The Eire unit may have been photographed at the B&M's Boston Engine Terminal.  

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA 

Date: 01/22/17 07:11
Author: YukonYeti

Good stuff!

YY

Date: 01/22/17 07:11
Author: King_Coal

Can't say I've seen a lot of back-to-back FTA photos. DRGW lash up looks nicely cared for.
Great series!

Date: 01/22/17 07:17
Author: Atlpete

Great photos(this gallery of F units you've been posting is a real treat) I suspect that B&M 6-4-6 is in pool service, they didn't have much of a service life on the B&M past 1958, and were sold to the CN in the mid-sixities. 

Date: 01/22/17 10:27
Author: Seventyfive

What a great set of photos!  
Great to see "Radio Equipped" and "Radio" on the Erie and Lackawanna power; really classy.  
Had not previously noticed red nose lights on Lackawanna F's.  
The Rio Grande shot is too excellent; how about the dual-gauge tracks and switch, and the water tank!  
My favorite DRGW paint scheme too.  Thanks for one of the best Rio Grande photos I can think of.

Date: 01/22/17 11:13
Author: CPR_4000

Both the Erie and Lackawanna photos are post-EL, viz 4-digit numbers. Beautiful images in any case. I wonder what happened to the Lackawanna B units; those A's are both from the same set. Maybe traded in on GP35's?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/17 11:14 by CPR_4000.

Date: 01/22/17 11:26
Author: krm152

PHOTO 3 COMMENTS

The photo posted was taken after the units had been renumbered for the Erie Lackawanna merger of October 1960. EL#6024 was originally DL&W #602C, and EL #6021 was originally DL&W #602A. The related B Unit was either in the shop or incorporated as a fourth unit into another set as the Lackawanna sometimes did.

The Lackawanna purchased four FT ABA sets with short boosters (twelve units); each set was entirely drawbar linked making them rather inflexible. They were numbered #601ABC – #604ABC. To address the inflexibility issue, the Lackawanna rebuilt a steam locomotive tender to mate with a B Unit if one of the A Units needed shopping to avoid having the entire set out of service.

The Lackawanna also owned four FT AB sets (eight units) numbered #651AB - #654AB.

ALLEN

Date: 01/22/17 15:37
Author: ATSF3751

What is an "F3P"? EMD had no such designation. F3 with steam generator?

Date: 01/22/17 16:07
Author: valmont

ATSF3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is an "F3P"? EMD had no such designation. F3
> with steam generator?

My abbreviation for this series F for F unit 3P for 3-pack, which is the number of pics in each installment

Date: 01/22/17 16:24
Author: Lackawanna484

Seventyfive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a great set of photos!  
> Great to see "Radio Equipped" and "Radio" on the
> Erie and Lackawanna power; really classy.  (snip)

NS added that touch to its Lackawanna heritage unit.  There's a "radio" with four lightning bolts under the cab window

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0951 seconds