Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Nostalgia & History > It Happen 61 Years Ago Today

Date: 01/22/17 19:25
It Happen 61 Years Ago Today
Author: edsaalig

61 years ago today at 5:33pm California experience its worst passenger accident.  Santa Fe's San Diego-bound train No. 82 left the tracks at near 70mph on a curve near Redondo Junction killing 30 and injuring another 140.  Photo one shows the marker warning the engineer to slow train to 15 mph.  The heard of the curve was 3/4 miles ahead.  Photo 2 shows the curve at Rodondo Junction.  Photo 3 shows the UP Crane helping to upright the cars.

Date: 01/22/17 19:26
Re: It Happen 61 Years Ago Today

All photos were taken by the Los Angeles Examiner.

Date: 01/22/17 20:39
Author: cewherry

I remember that evening well watching either KTTV's Bill Welch or KTLA's Stan Chambers coverage throughout.  
A lot of gore was televised live.

​Charlie

Date: 01/22/17 20:44
Author: MojaveBill

Me too, One of the first big LA TV news events. Ch. 5 did a great job in those days...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 01/22/17 21:59

Channel 5 and 11 covered the accident.

Date: 01/23/17 01:23
Author: wattslocal

I also went up there after seeing it on TV. As I remember, hundreds of people walking blocks to see the wreck. No one was allowed to get very close, but the crowd watched intently at the action. A tragic accident -- later we learned the engineer saw the non existant orange groves at the last minute.

The lead car, DC-191 exists today and shows no evidnce of that tragic night.
Watts local

Date: 01/23/17 06:54
Author: colehour

cewherry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember that evening well watching either
> KTTV's Bill Welch or KTLA's Stan
> Chambers coverage throughout.  
> A lot of gore was televised live.
> ​
>
> ​Charlie

Stan Chambers was one of the pioneers of live coverage on TV. He worked for KTLA for 61 years, and died just a couple of years ago. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/17 06:57 by colehour.

Date: 01/23/17 11:35
Author: cabman

DC-191 was rebuilt and assigned elsewhere (Kansas?) far from California bad memories.  Get a look at fireman #7 unloading the stretcher and the cigarette hanging from his mouth.  A real sign of the times!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0707 seconds