Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Nostalgia & History > Originating traffic on the Clinchfield

Date: 02/17/17 09:20
Originating traffic on the Clinchfield
Author: march_hare

Back in the 1970s, I would occasionally see Clinchfield boxcars, advertising their "cushioned car" status, in D&H freight trains.  I knew enough at the time to know that CRR was mostly a coal road.  We never saw Clinchfield hoppers until the Chessie System merger took hold.

So what was CRR shipping in boxcars?  I want to say something like hardwood furniture, which was a big industry down there.  I'm now modeling the D&H of the 1970s, and would like to have waybills for those CRR boxcars that I bought a few years back.

Anybody have info on this?

Date: 02/17/17 13:31
Re: Originating traffic on the Clinchfield
Author: briancdn

I referred this question to Dominic Bourgeois, Author of the 2 volume set 'D&H Bridge Line Freight" by Railroad Explorer; and this was his reply.

"My D&H waybill database, which comes from the Operations SIG and only covers cars transiting through Allentown Yard, only contains this entry for Clinchfield boxcars: NE8404/01/1977   CRR7202XLKingsportTNMead CorpRourke ENO Paper CoWilmingtonMACRR NW WM CR DH BM Printing Paper But furniture to Albany, Boston, Montreal or anywhere else furniture could be distributed is a good possibility too.

Dom"

So either printing paper or Furniture would be relevant.

Brian N.

Date: 02/17/17 16:36

Didn't know there was a paper mill on CRR. Any idea where it was?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/17 05:34 by march_hare.

Date: 02/17/17 17:14
Author: west

Hi,

Some of the Clinchfield RR boxcars were in pools assigned to off line customers:
Some CRR boxcars were stenciled to return to Palatka, Florida (on the ACL) which
has a Georgia-Pacific paper mill.

Industries on the Clinchfield itself included a large Tennessee Eastman chemical
plant; a Mead Corp (now Domtar) pulp/paper mill and the Blue Ridge Glass
plant in Kingsport, TN.  There was a large military munitions facility nearby also.  
All those could have generated boxcar loads, especially for DF or similar equiped cars.

Don

Date: 02/17/17 23:11
Author: wpamtk

When working the Tidewater Southern (late 70s), we periodically got Clinchfield boxcar loads of wooden spools going to American Thread in Turlock, CA.

Date: 02/19/17 07:16

Thanks to all (including a few responses off list). I learned a bit from this, will apply to layout planning. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds