Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Nostalgia & History > Good By AFT, Heading Home in 1977 (2 of 8)

Date: 02/18/17 15:43
Good By AFT, Heading Home in 1977 (2 of 8)
Author: BoilingMan

Continued..

As I said, the 2nd leg of my trip home was on #441, the Washington section of the Broadway.  After the long crowded sleepless night on the Silver Meteor I was ready for a full night's rest.  For, I think about $16, I upgraded to a space on the Broadway's Slumbercoach.  Nice!  I must have been on the fireman's side because I remember seeing Horseshoe Curve late that night in my darkened room.
Nice.
SR

Photo 1. Water stop in Toledo, OH.  Fine- except, The Broadway Limited didn't stop in Toledo!  A bit of re-routing in the night, I guess..   This photo triggered two questions: Did the Broadway always run with just one locomotive?  Seems like there should be 2.  Maybe we never met and combined with the NYC section?   And, check out those horns on the 596.  I don't remember them being set up like that..
Photos 2&3.  Bounding thru the snow in a One SDP40F open vestibule.

Date: 02/18/17 19:45
Re: Good By AFT, Heading Home in 1977 (2 of 8)
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

The Freedom Bell from the AFT in front of Union Station Washington D.C. March 2016
To bad the plaque does not mention the American Freedom Train

Kevin

Date: 02/18/17 20:11
Re: Good By AFT, Heading Home in 1977 (2 of 8)
Author: BoilingMan

Thank you for posting the bell.  The AFT not being mentioned is really baffling- that bell toured all the lower 48!  Surely that would be of intrest to pretty much anyone pausing to look at it...
Weird.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds