Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Nostalgia & History > BN-1 Special and LMX EB Hastings, NE

Date: 02/19/17 09:23
BN-1 Special and LMX EB Hastings, NE
Author: highgreengraphics

The BN "Nebraska Zephyr" Special for invited guests is stopped at the Amtrak depot at Hastings, NE on June 26, 1991 as an eastbound from Denver whistles past with an all LMX consist. Later in the day, I rode this BN Special from Grand Island to Lincoln with the Grand Island Chapter of the NRHS, complete with dinner and snacks in rear theater-obs Glacier View. In the distance in this view still stands the steam-era CB&Q coaling tower which is now gone, as is the passing track that the LMX's are on, and the street, North Kansas Ave no longer crosses here. On the bright side, the brick platform for Amtrak was lengthened east another block, now extending to North Colorado Ave. === === = === JLH

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/17 10:32 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 02/19/17 10:45
Re: BN-1 Special and LMX EB Hastings, NE
Author: santafe199

What a cool shot! I've always liked Hastings, and have passed through there quite a few times over the years. I always wanted to camp out at Hastings for a couple of days and do a complete photo study of that part of the BN through Nebraska. But I never did. (sigh...)

Date: 02/19/17 11:43
Author: bnsfsd70

Man, now THAT is a cool shot!

- Jeff Carlson 

Date: 02/19/17 11:55
Author: highgreengraphics

Thank you very much! I always thought if you squinted your eyes at those bloody-nose shark LMX's, with the gray they did look Burlington-y, which is very appropriate here. I also noticed on Google Earth that the big signal bridge in the distance, and searchlights, are gone, replaced with Safetrans stuff. === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0274 seconds