Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Nostalgia & History > CNW Auto parts train with all ex-CR power on upgraded line!

Date: 02/19/17 14:23
CNW Auto parts train with all ex-CR power on upgraded line!
Author: slacks

In the late 1980,s with a booming auto parts business out of Jansville Wis, the CNW rebuilt the line east to West Chicago. Caught this train east of Janesville with a lot of ex-CR power. The first 3 units are ex-NYC GP-40,s among the very first built. And the last unit is an exPRR SD-45. All of these were acquired by the CNW in the mid-80,s. I believe the J,ville auto business is down now and the power was scattered after the UP takeover.

Date: 02/20/17 07:16
Re: CNW Auto parts train with all ex-CR power on upgraded line!
Author: cabman

You say the Janesville auto business is "down", but I thought it was "out".  Isn't the GM plant closed???

Date: 02/20/17 15:40
Re: CNW Auto parts train with all ex-CR power on upgraded line!
Author: jgilmore

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You say the Janesville auto business is "down",
> but I thought it was "out".  Isn't the GM plant
> closed???

Yes, the plant closed several years ago when GM consolidated their SUV production to Arlington, TX. However, when it was still producing, Janesville got two trains a day each way, the "A" and the "B" train (PRJAA/PRJAB). The inbounds were mostly loaded parts boxcars and empty racks and the outbound trains vice-versa.

JG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0299 seconds