Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Nostalgia & History > Shorty Gondola

Date: 02/19/17 15:09
Shorty Gondola
Author: WichitaJct

What is this type of car used for? Thanks.

Date: 02/19/17 15:23
Re: Shorty Gondola
Author: HB90MACH

Here in the northeast, It was used for iron ore. Used to see strings of them. Not sure if they were used in Michigan or it it was bottom dump cars only. There are smaller iron ore hualing operations in the southwest. so possibly used down there perhaps.

Date: 02/19/17 15:36
Author: monaddave

UP had a handful of those for use out of Spokane to the Lucky Friday Mine in Mullan, Idaho. They were restricted to 40 MPH, loaded or empty. When working out of Mullan, they were used for lead ore concentrate.
Dave in Missoula

Date: 02/19/17 16:05
Author: WichitaJct

Apparently the WP has some too.

Date: 02/19/17 20:53
Author: EricSP

WP's cars were for steel coil service.

Date: 02/19/17 23:17
Author: 3rdswitch

In the seventies some were used in the short lived Cima iron ore trains, Cima, CA to port of Los Angeles for export. Here is a set of empties coming into UP's East Los Angles yard in '72.
JB

Date: 02/20/17 18:22
Author: highgreengraphics

I saw them mixed with regular iron-ore jennies in brown or boxcar red or silver in the Atlantic City, WY to Provo, UT taconite trains in 1977-78. All those little cars would clatter by at 60mph and you'd swear they were airborne and not even on the tracks at that speed. I was on a UP Signal Department gang then between Rock Springs and Carter, WY. === === = === JLH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0296 seconds