Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > The SP Coast Daylight pre-Amtrak by Rogar Puta

Date: 02/22/17 16:31
The SP Coast Daylight pre-Amtrak by Rogar Puta
Author: MartyBernard

1. SP 6444, an FP7, with Train 98, the Coast Daylight, San Francisco, CA on August 25, 1967.  A nice look into the 3rd and Townsend Station.

2. SP Dome Lounge car on Train 98, the Coast Daylight as it pulls by the old 4th Street Tower, San Francisco, CA on August 25, 1967.

3. SP parlor-observation car on departing Train 98, the Coast Daylight, San Francisco, CA on August 25, 1967.

4. SP Train 98, The Coast Daylight, departing San Francisco, CA on August 25, 1967.

5. SP Train 98, the Coast Daylight, at San Luis Obispo, CA  on February 6, 1971.

I'm sure glad Roger took these,
Marty Bernard

Date: 02/22/17 16:32
Re: The SP Coast Daylight pre-Amtrak by Rogar Puta
Author: MartyBernard

Date: 02/22/17 16:45
Author: timz

The 3600, 3605 and 3606 were supposed to
run lounge-forward-- right? Anyone know
how often they didn't?

Date: 02/22/17 16:55
Author: tehachapifan

All these old pics from Mr. Puta are like gold! Can't really call myself a railfan next to him. Thanks to Marty for taking all this time to share this goldmine!

Date: 02/22/17 17:26
Author: WAF

Last photo is a long off season Coast Daylight, 11 cars power 6462 (added at San Jose), 6460 and 3205

Date: 02/22/17 17:43
Author: atsffan

Love that SLO pic. My 13th birthday on Feb 6th of that year.

And about 7 years later, I'd be attending college there.

Date: 02/22/17 18:32
Author: BoilingMan

You know...
That trainset doesn't look half-bad with all matching, clean, stainless wrapped, tomato can striped cars.
SR

Date: 02/22/17 19:07
Author: lowerberth

I seem to remember from riding during their Amtrak days that it was lounge to the rear, with the seats in the dome facing forward in that orientenation, and could look out the "front" windows from the upper level.   But maybe the dome seats were reversable.

Date: 02/22/17 19:41
Author: Notch16

Lounge and bar to the rear was mandatory on four of the seven SP Dome Lounges, the original 3601-3604. Seats up top (except for a couple of booths and tables) were dual sofa-style, canted slightly outwards and facing the end where the dome section terminated just above the blind end. Facing away from the bar, essentially. Those seats were fixed, as were all upper level SP Dome chairs.

SP 3600 was unique as the prototype. Built to run lounge and bar forward, with dual chair car style seats facing ahead over the "Pleasant Under Glass" lounge. The plan was to refit the car after its 1954 barnstorming tour, I understand, and to reverse the orientation of the seats -- and paint the car in Armour Yellow for "Overland" assignment. SP 3601-3603 were completed in those colors for Overland Route assigments, and SP 3600 remained in Daylight paint with the bar and lounge always leading. 3600 and 3604 were assigned to the San Joaquin Daylight, and SP 3600 basically retired while still in occasional service in peak travel on that train.

SP 3605-3606 were assigned to the Shasta Daylight, and featured all-banquette or booth-and-table style seating up top. So they were essentially bi-directional, to my understanding. I don't know how often they ran in which direction, but SP 3605 is happy running bar forward in the Roger Puta shot, and I recall the car running in that direction when I rode 98 in around 1970 as well. 

Bob Morris has photos on his website http://www.snowcrest.net/photobob/sppass.html which show presumably one or both of those cars running in either direction.

~ BZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/17 19:59 by Notch16.

Date: 02/23/17 18:55
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

The Coast Daylight was unique in that it was the only long distance train in the 1960s that SP did not seek to discontinue.   

Date: 02/23/17 20:09
Author: desertjack

Nice scanning, as always.  Thanks for posting all of his work.  Are most of the images Kodachrome?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds