Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Nostalgia & History > Giving the Miscellaneous File a Day Off

Date: 02/23/17 06:11
Giving the Miscellaneous File a Day Off
Author: gbmott

I'm giving the Miscellaneous File a day off and have scanned some old slides that I took of CSX passenger extras.  I don't have the best information regarding several of them, and if anyone out there can fill in any blanks please do so.

1.  CSX 1932 - Nashville (8th Ave. Wye at Church Street), 8-21-92

2.  CSX 5878 - Somewhere on (I think) the South End Subdivision, in the hole waiting for a meet.  Date unknown, but early 90's

3.  CSX 3131 - Jacksonville (terminal trackage that used to extend up to alongside the Gator Bowl.  Date unknown, but mid 80's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/17 06:15 by gbmott.

Date: 02/23/17 06:22
Re: Giving the Miscellaneous File a Day Off
Author: mopacrr

I am curious about photo #3 , it looks like a excursion of some sort. Any info on about it? 

Date: 02/23/17 06:29

4.  CSX 6301 - Hamlet, NC 5-29-99  note ACL 501 third unit of consist.  The train was going to Raleigh to deliver 501 to NCDOT and the museum at Spencer.  The plan had been for 501 to lead but we could never find an MU cable long enough to reach from the recepticle on the rear of 501 which was up above the end door down to the level of the recepticles on conventional units of the day.

5.  CSX 5942 - Etowah, TN 8-15-98

6.  HB&T 52 - Houston, TX 8-20-92.  The cars had been in Houston for the 1992 Republican National Convention.  You see two Santa Fe cars, an office car and a lounge car, at the far end which had been there also.  The UP had brought 3985 to town with a full train and when it was all over, the CSX cars were attached to the rear of the UP train as far as, I think, Settegast Yard.

Gordon 

Date: 02/23/17 06:33

mopacrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am curious about photo #3 , it looks like a
> excursion of some sort. Any info on about it? 

It was.  I can't remember exactly what, but it was some kind of civic celebration and short trips on industrial trackage between the Gator Bowl and around Talleyrand were run all day.  It was a shuttle operation and below is a shot of the other end of the train.

Gordon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/17 06:36 by gbmott.

Date: 02/23/17 06:34
Author: Bob3985

Great coverage Gordon. It was fun to work with you on the Santa Special as well. How long did you work for CSX?

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/24/17 19:51
Author: Waybiller

Thanks so much for sharing these.  In the early 90s I talked my way onto a business car move from Atlanta to Jax.  I don't remember the consist, but it had a theater car, full diner (dinner was lobster and filet mignon served on B&O china) and several business cars.  I had a grand time, but it was my first observation of the 'hot seat' and blood letting of a business car trip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds