Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1970: The U.S. Military Railroad at Fort Eustis, VA

Date: 02/25/17 03:23
1970: The U.S. Military Railroad at Fort Eustis, VA
Author: bandob

Continuing with my project to show photos in chronological order, we are up to 1970. One fan trip I did take was to Fort Eustis, VA. Our NRHS trip used a mix of cars from RF&P and other railroads, and was pulled into Fort Eustis by a pair of C&O Geeps.

These photos were posted some years ago on TO, and seen then by a former railroader at Fort Eustis. We've since met and it is a most enjoyable relationship. Perhaps he'll share some of his photos too, if he sees this.

Here's our train, and the steam locomotives used by the Army.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/17 03:36 by bandob.

Date: 02/25/17 03:29
Re: 1970: The U.S. Military Railroad at Fort Eustis, VA

We transferred from our train to the Army train, consisting of former hospital cars, and made several loops around the base.Run-bys were held.

Here's some photos of those events.

B&OBill

Date: 02/25/17 03:37

Here's the cover of the trip brochure, showing the route. Then, map of the Army railroad.

B&OB

Date: 02/25/17 05:45
Author: cozephyr

Appreciate you sharing your photos and the maps.   Rare opportunity that is no longer possible. 

Date: 02/25/17 06:35
Author: Tominde

That is a terrific post.  Thanks for sharing the map flyer and C&O pics too.   Any more?

Date: 02/25/17 06:58
Author: ClubCar

Thanks once again Bill for sharing these photos.  They are great.  I was not able to make the trip due to other commitments; however I was wondering, do you remember whether or not the Baltimore Chapter's B&O 3302 "Edward G. Hooper" was used in that consist of passenger cars?
Thanks.
John

Date: 02/25/17 07:21
Author: Frisco1522

I enlisted in the Army in Dec of 1962 and after basic at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO I went to Ft. Rucker, AL to Aviation School to become a helicopter mechanic.
I tried my darndest to get reassigned to the USATC Rwy Battalion at Ft. Eustis.  I even wrote a personal letter to Col. Gray asking for a transfer.
Never happened, I went to Germany for two years and then back to Ft. Rucker for my remaining 5 months.   Still wish I could have gone to Ft. Eustis.

Date: 02/25/17 07:40
Author: HotWater

Don,

I was drafted in late 1964, and previous employees drafted out of EMD, were quickly assigned to Fort Eustis. Seems the Army realized they would have a "free EMD rep." for the next 18 months. I was well prepared in advance, and explained to all the "interviewers" where I worked (EMD Field Service Dept.), and could really benefit the U.S. Army Transportation Corps. 

I wound up in Artillery Communications, they to the 2nd Armored Division in Fort Hood, Texas, and then a Jeep Driver assigned to Headquarters, Division Artillery as the Colonel's personal drive.  What waste!

Date: 02/25/17 08:13
Author: mp51w

Here is a picture post card from my Uncle when he was at Ft. Eustis WWI training.
You can see some rail cars at the end of the spur track.

Date: 02/25/17 11:31
Author: terrybaker

Here's a link to a previous posting with photos taken at Fort Eustis on Armed Forces Day in 1967.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3184544,3184544#msg-3184544

Date: 02/25/17 11:38

Thank you very much for posting the link to the 1967 photos. I had not seen them before.

TO is somewhat like a Railroad Magazine: it is good to periodically repeat a story. New readers may not have seen it the first time.

Club Car: sorry, I have no memory of any specific car in the consist. This was a Washington, DC Chapter trip.

B&OBill

Date: 02/25/17 12:06
Author: ClubCar

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you very much for posting the link to the
> 1967 photos. I had not seen them before.
>
> TO is somewhat like a Railroad Magazine: it is
> good to periodically repeat a story. New readers
> may not have seen it the first time.
>
> Club Car: sorry, I have no memory of any specific
> car in the consist. This was a Washington, DC
> Chapter trip.
>
> B&OBill
​Thanks B&OBill.  When the Baltimore Chapter first purchased the B&O 3302 the car was often used by the B&O and C&O for special trips as Bill Howes was still in charge of the passenger operations during that time, and since his department would put a consist together for trips on both the B&O and C&O, it is possible that the 3302 would be in a train set, even though it was a Washington, D.C. Chapter trip.
​John

Date: 02/25/17 12:47
Author: chakk

Love those steam locomotive crew members dressed in miitary fatigues!

Date: 02/25/17 13:30
Author: trainmanwes

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I enlisted in the Army in Dec of 1962 and after
> basic at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO I went to Ft.
> Rucker, AL to Aviation School to become a
> helicopter mechanic.
> I tried my darndest to get reassigned to the USATC
> Rwy Battalion at Ft. Eustis.  I even wrote a
> personal letter to Col. Gray asking for a
> transfer.
> Never happened, I went to Germany for two years
> and then back to Ft. Rucker for my remaining 5
> months.   Still wish I could have gone to Ft.
> Eustis.

So Neat to see photos of Fort Eustis I was assigned to the USATC as a helicopter repairman arriving fall 1966 and what a show was going on as the reservists were traing and the hole railroad was in operations. Lying in the barracks steam whistles all niter what a great place. I tried to transfer to the 714`th railroad battalion no luck so spent rest of my time shooting meany rolls of film before going to Vet Nam.   

Date: 02/25/17 17:41
Author: JLinDE

Thanks for the pictures and the memories, and to all especially 'trainmanwes'.  I have a few pics of the 714th Railway Btn myself; do not know how to post them. I was ROTC at Western Maryland College graduating in spring 1966 and commissioned a 2nd LT. The Army promised to give you what you requested for your first assignment, Some were honored, some not. Mine was the 714th at Ft Eustis. I got it. A friend did not. I had barely correctable eyes for 20/20. I got there in July 66. I was assigned to the Company B, the Bridge and Building Gang. Fortunately I had four great Sergeants; strangely enuf, two named Reynolds, and two Jones; and one of each was black and one white. All were Regular Army, all had been to Vietnam, I said run this place, teach me, treat the guys fair, and do what is necessary to get past inspections. They did, and I have some 'war stories' to tell which might not interest many. The 714th Btn was busy then. I still have some paper stuff. One night I got to ride a steam engine with engineer SP4 ??? who we called 'Squeaky". He was an engineer with the old T&NO, part pf SP . I ran it for about three miles, up the north side of the loops on the track diagram. Despite the fact I have 31 years with PC and CR  in various positions that was the only time I ever ran an engine and I basically sat there. It was level and we only had a few cars.  In May 1967 I was sent to Vietnam working most of my time on the docks at Saigon due to my lousy eyes. Learned a lot about ships, etc. Lucky to get out of the first stupid war. We have had two more; hope there is not a fourth. Glad you did the same 'trainmanwes'. The only good thing about being our age is that: 1, we are too old for the fourth stupid war, and 2; you can get cataract surgery to see like you could be in the infantry, but too old to do so. Not long after our service in the military, the Army decided railroads were not essential in upcoming wars. so Rwy Btns, even as I did reservist duties, were becoming redundant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1255 seconds