Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Nostalgia & History > Visiting the Deshler crossroads

Date: 03/19/17 09:10
Visiting the Deshler crossroads
Author: santafe199

As a railfan with an interest in RR geography I have known of Deshler, Ohio for quite some time, although on a limited basis. A few times since the mid 1970s I’ve read snippets about & seen photos from the area. I finally had the chance to visit Deshler in person on my recent railfan safari in the east. And I was fascinated! The immediate draw was of course, the 2 ex-B&O main lines crossing each other with old B&O signals still in use. Lots of trains in multiple directions provide numerous shooting angle opportunities. Toss in the old depot & interlocking tower still standing at the diamonds and I was hooked on the place! During both my eastbound and later westbound passes through the area I spent time in Deshler. And I will return.

Here’s my last shot of the day before pressing eastward to look for a motel. Even though I took this image last month I’m posting it here on Nostalgia to reflect the deep sense of history I came away with after my first visit to the B&O crossroads at Deshler, Ohio.

1. Looking approximately SW at the CSXT crossing diamonds from Main St in Deshler, OH. A coal empty (?) is coming up from the south and heading around the wye toward Fostoria, OH in the east.
Photo info: 5:21 PM on February 23, 2017.

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/22 04:31 by santafe199.

Date: 03/19/17 12:44
Re: Visiting the Deshler crossroads
Author: BobP

Ah yes. One of Ohio's hidden gems for railfans.
And to think the citizens actually made a park of us.

Date: 03/19/17 14:21
Author: farmer

More than likely train in your photo was K173 Empty ore hoppers from Middletown Ohio to Toledo Docks.
This day operating via Fostoria instead of straight north across the diamond.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/19/17 17:52

farmer Wrote: > ...  likely train in your photo was K173 ...

Thanks for the train symbol & info. All I could come up with was that generic coal empty guess. On my westward return home I was able to shoot another train heading around the wye to the west. I would imagine it would be an interesting chronicle to have coordinated teams of photographers/fans keep track of every train in all directions over a 24 hour, or even a 2-3 day span...

Lance/199

Date: 03/19/17 19:11
Author: farmer

Big E productions did a video of 24 hours at Deshler years a go. Some rail fans have also done 24 hours at the park.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/17 14:12
Author: EL-SD45-3632

You should cross post this on the eastern board, you may have more responses.

Date: 03/20/17 17:50

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote: > ... You should cross post this on the eastern board...

You have a good point. But when I get through editing almost 2400 images from my eastern foray I'll have numerous threads to post. I see no other way than to post simultaneous threads on both my home Western & subject Eastern forums. So by viewing Deshler from a 'Nostalgic' standpoint I feel like I'm cutting down on the number of times I'll have to double-post...

Lance/199

Date: 03/24/17 13:40
Author: EL-SD45-3632

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> EL-SD45-3632 Wrote: > ... You should cross post
> this on the eastern board...
>
> You have a good point. But when I get through
> editing almost 2400 images from my eastern
> foray I'll have numerous threads to post. I see
> no other way than to post simultaneous threads on
> both my home Western & subject Eastern forums. So
> by viewing Deshler from a 'Nostalgic' standpoint I
> feel like I'm cutting down on the number of times
> I'll have to double-post...
>
> Lance/199

However, Nostalgic is just that, is the past, at least 10 years as most posters do.

Date: 03/24/17 13:58
Author: ATSF5669

Cool pic Lance!  Can't wait to see LOTS more!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0965 seconds