Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Nostalgia & History > Penn Central in Color vol. 4

Date: 03/24/17 11:33
Penn Central in Color vol. 4
Author: Alexmarissa

I was thinking of buying Morning Sun Books' "Penn Central In Color vol. 4." Does it contain many photos of the Pennsy or NY Central lines between Indy and St. Louis? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/24/17 12:36
Re: Penn Central in Color vol. 4
Author: Atlpete

Not really much; maybe six photos mostly St. Louis. It's my biggest criticism of the book, if not the entire series in that the vaste majority of the photos are of western PA, Ohio, Michigan and northern Indiana.
It's really absurd when you consider the first three volumes only got as far west as Horseshoe curve and Buffalo. They should have split volume four into a fifth volume. 
My opinion the best book for coverage of PC's ex-Big Four and Pennsy route is hands down Jerry Taylor's A Sampling of Penn Central , most recently re-published by Indiana University Press
subtitled : Southern Region on Display.  Though caveat , it's a different presentation entirely than the usual MS or FWW twinky in that it has 50% split between photo and caption text , photos are B&W, one per page in that gatefold format that was somewhat of a trend in the late seventies and eighties.
One of my favorites on the PC and railroads in general.

Date: 03/24/17 17:33
Author: cabinman

I second the Jerry Taylor  Penn Central book. Perhaps one of the best for railroad operations. 

Keith Turley
Monrovia, California

Date: 03/24/17 20:17
Author: SPHTS_001

Fist place that came up in a search, woe, must be one hell of a book!

John Huey
Simi Valley, CA
http://mancosbob.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx

Date: 03/25/17 20:07
Author: conrail6830

I bought miine on Amazon a few years ago for $18.00. Looks like a pretty good return on investment. :)

Date: 03/25/17 20:15
Author: wabash2800

Taylor's book is available at Ebay for a fraction of that.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 03/25/17 22:07
Author: navarch2

LOL...I have 4 copies of it......my LHS ordered one and they shipped 4 but billed him for one - so he gave me all of them :) Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds