Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Nostalgia & History > North Shore Line

Date: 03/26/17 16:02
North Shore Line
Author: CNWH-1

The Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad was arguably the epitome of electric interurban railroads. Until the abandonment in January 1963, the "North Shore" as it was affectionately known, fielded hourly service with trains operating at 80 miles an hour or better up to and including the very last day.  This service was a was accomplished by using cars that were built no more recently than the 1930s, operated over jointed rail with trolley poles and yet was noted for consistently on-time service even in the depth of Midwestern winters The two trainsets named the "Electroliner" are considered to be the finest interurban articulated trains ever constructed and set the standard for this type of service nationwide.

The documents shown below illustrate the depth of detail to which the management of the North Shore went to achieve an orderly shutdown after abandonment. This proves again that the North Shore was one the finest electric interurban railroads ever to operate. This railroad exhibited the hallmark of a "class act" to the very end.
I worked a short time for the North Shore in 1959 when I was furloughed from a class one carrier.

Date: 03/26/17 16:05
Re: North Shore Line

Date: 03/26/17 16:07

;

Date: 03/26/17 16:09

/

Date: 03/26/17 16:11

Date: 03/26/17 17:49
Author: mundo

Most interesting  historical material.

Date: 03/26/17 22:00
Author: jcaestecker

One of the saddest moments in RR history.

-John

Date: 03/27/17 03:24
Author: mp51w

It must have been gut wrenching for some employees.

Date: 03/27/17 09:28
Author: BRAtkinson

jcaestecker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the saddest moments in RR history.
>

I agree 100%.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds