Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Nostalgia & History > Del Monte, Daylight, and Dependable Transportation, SP 1970

Date: 03/26/17 19:41
Del Monte, Daylight, and Dependable Transportation, SP 1970
Author: FiveChime

Here is the eastbound SP Del Monte bound for San Jose, then Monterey at College Park near Santa Clara in 1970.
The aged commute car comes off at San Jose and the train contiues south with the streamline car and lounge.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 03/26/17 19:45
Re: Del Monte, Daylight, and Dependable Transportation, SP 1970

Westbound Coast Daylight, Train 99, College Park. Unknown photographer who also took Del Monte shots.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 03/26/17 19:50

SP full dome in Train 99 and passing early UP SD40 - Dependable Transportation.

Unique flashing light light location on the UP unit. A time when SP was pooling with UP and the yellow SD40s were
a common appearance on trains out of Roseville and in the Bay Area.

Regards, Jim Evans 

Date: 03/26/17 20:20
Author: SCKP187

A nice look back at the SP passenger equipment.  I like the SDP-F unit consist.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/26/17 20:49
Author: Slumbercoach

Nice series of photos, the Daylight looks to be a very long train.  Here is a photo of the Del Monte awaiting departure from Monterey in April, 1969.  I rode the train to San Francisco.  A pleasant little ride, interiors were spotlessly clean.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/17 20:51 by Slumbercoach.

Date: 03/27/17 15:03
Author: SPB

All interesting pictures Jim.  Thanks for posting them.

Gerry

Date: 03/27/17 15:40
Author: alamedafrank

I took the Del Monte regularly while attending the Monterey Language School in 1967 and I think the parlor car fare was $8 or so, one way. The coach was $5. The lounge car was used as the First Class Accommodation and coach passengers were not allowed in, even to buy the sandwiches and drinks available. I remember feeling a little uneasy about this as the coach was full of boys going to Fort Ord and I was not.

Date: 03/27/17 18:40
Author: kilroydiver

Passengers could buy drinks and sandwiches in the lounge car, as it was the only place to buy them on the train. But if you did not have a lounge car ticket, you were politely asked to return to your seat in the coach car.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0451 seconds