Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Nostalgia & History > A Little Streetcar Competition to Marty Bernard ...

Date: 03/27/17 07:44
A Little Streetcar Competition to Marty Bernard ...
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody--
Marty likes Muni PCC cars..  That's great !!  But the ones I liked also were the MUNI "Iron Monsters"..  Here we have CAR # 200 on Mission Street in San Francisco  in front of the old "Transbay Terminal".

How many of you can remember the THREE tracks that were on the ramp in front of the Terminal.  Streetcars would climb the ramp and either load or unload.  There was usually an old guy in uniform alongside the track making change and taking fares, then he would bang his fist on the side of the car and "Ding Ding"--  the car would depart and he would repeat the process for the next car.

Going to the ZOO with my grandmother as a little kid after crossing the Bay on a KEY train, I used to think this process on the ramp was fun.

Cheers.

KRK

Date: 03/27/17 11:22
Re: A Little Streetcar Competition to Marty Bernard ...
Author: stash

Looks like a B-Geary car on Geary at Union Square to me.
---jcs

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Everybody--
Here we have CAR # 200 on Mission
> Street in San Francisco  in front of the old
> "Transbay Terminal".

Date: 03/27/17 13:31
Author: KeyRouteKen

stash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a B-Geary car on Geary at Union Square
> to me.
> ---jcs
>
> KeyRouteKen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi Everybody--
> Here we have CAR # 200 on Mission
> > Street in San Francisco  in front of the old
> > "Transbay Terminal".
>  
I better refrain from posting or my grade school teacher will slap me down.  (grin)
Yeah ok-- I see the parking entrance for the underground garage at Union Sq as well as the faded "B" on the streetcar.
But I can't help it..  I've only been to San Francisco a few times.

KRK

Date: 03/28/17 01:45
Author: norm1153

Speaking of the B Geary Line, I have a friend who swears that one of the first 1100's to arrive on the Muni operated on the B Geary line.  Speculaton is that it was just testing, taking advantage of the hills.  And the timeframe between those first 1100's and the B Geary intact does overlap just slightly.  In any event if anyone has a photo, my friend would be thrilled. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0739 seconds