Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Nostalgia & History > Missouri Pacific shop complex in Osawatomie, KS, in 1950s

Date: 03/27/17 17:15
Missouri Pacific shop complex in Osawatomie, KS, in 1950s
Author: JoCoLB

This picture shows the former Missouri Pacific Railroad shop complex in Osawatomie, Kan., in the early 1950s. In the center of the picture can be seen a diesel repair shop that was constructed in 1948 and remained open only about 10 years.  In 1957 and 1958, the mechanical force personnel in Osawatomie either lost their jobs or were transferred to North Little Rock, Ark., or other places on the system. The diesel shop building later housed some various small manufacturing firms which utilized a large overhead crane inside. The building is now vacant and is for sale by a private party.

I grew up in Osawatomie during the 1950s and '60s and have fond recollections of viwing various parts of the shop complex. I have identified my boyhood home in the residential area at the top of the photo.

The original photo is in the possession of Richard "Rick" Speck of Gardner, KS. He acquired it from his late father, Thomas Speck Sr., who worked a considerable number of years in the MoPac survey department in Osawatomie before retiring.

I find old railroad photos quite fascinating and this one sure has extra appeal to me since I'm familiar with most everything in the photo.

Many structures in the photo are long gone. The roundhouse was destroyed by fire in 1980. Roundhouse foundations and stalls can still be seen in Google Earth overhead photos.   

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/17 19:51 by JoCoLB.

Date: 03/27/17 18:25
Re: Missouri Pacific shop complex in Osawatomie, KS, in 1950s
Author: The_Chief_Way

Great post, Larry. Its amazing to think of all these railroad towns and the facilities and employment they had !
Can you orient ths photo for us? Which way is which ?

Date: 03/27/17 18:49

This aerial view is looking to the east. 

The track curve at left is at the east end of the Osawatomie yard. The tracks extending out of the photo at left carried trains to Kansas City. The same track curve at the bottom extended through the Osawatomie yard and then split at the west end of the yard facility. One track curved to the south towards Coffeyville and other south Kansas towns. Another track went northwest/west to Pueblo, Colo. There was an interconnection track where the two mains split. Trains could run in three directions in and out of Osawatomie. 

Date: 03/27/17 19:04

Here is a photo of the interior of the former MoPac diesel shop in Osawatomie. The photo was taken in 2009 when the building was vacant. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/17 19:52 by JoCoLB.

Date: 03/27/17 20:40

I'm beginning to think the black and white photo was taken sometime in the 1953-55 era from building changes I remember. 

The MoPac's last steam locomotive to be used in Osawatomie left town in late 1952 to be scrapped at Sedalia, Mo. I see no steam engines parked at the complex, unless there was one or more inside the roundhouse, which is doubtful. 

Osawatomie lost about 450 jobs when the diesel repair facility and other MoPac shops closed in 1957-58. It was a painful end to an era in the small town.. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/17 07:44 by JoCoLB.

Date: 03/27/17 21:17

This colorized postcard photo shows the Missouri Pacific Railroad roundhouse and car shops area in Osawatomie in the early 1900s, long before diesel locomotives were developed and the diesel repair facility was constructed at Osawatomie. Most of the rolling stock pictured was made with wooden components.  (Photo from Larry Byers collection) 

Date: 03/28/17 11:51
Author: rrman6

Larry, what a great picture and thanks for posting it!  Makes me want to "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!!"  
Although I know it was harder work then, I relish looking and imagining what the people in this facility, just as many others, endured in those days.
Never get enough of these so keep them coming as you're able to find them!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds