Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Nostalgia & History > WP Tunnel 1

Date: 03/28/17 14:22
WP Tunnel 1
Author: drgw0579

While this location was in the shadows, still one of my favorite images from a long time ago.

Bill Kepner

Date: 03/28/17 14:24
Re: WP Tunnel 1
Author: cozephyr

Western Pacific - wonderful image!  Thanks for sharing your special location with us.

Date: 03/28/17 15:08
Author: KansasRailHead

Very Kool

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/28/17 15:49
Author: RailRat

Wonderful! Love Anything WP!,can't help but notice the high nose on lead unit.

Jim Baker
Riverside, CA

Date: 03/28/17 19:00
Author: cctgm

Looks like power on the SJT" San Jose Turn"

Date: 03/28/17 20:47
Author: AlcoRSD15

Great photo!  A location not often photographed.
- Eric Blasko

Date: 04/03/17 08:57
Author: jimB

Nice shot from a different angle. Looks like the SJM (San Jose Merchandise) if it was running East as it appears.

Here is a very similar, or perhaps the same consist on 8/21/1982. Train is the SJM which ran East in the morning from San Josae and was great to photograph on a Saturday morning. The San Jose Turn did not run on Saturday.

Taken at Altamont.

Jim B

Date: 04/03/17 09:36
Author: drgw0579

It might have been the same morning.  I didn't keep dates on my slides then, was fairly new to the railfan photography thing.  I guess I didn't have the forsight to realize that 35 years later we'd be talking about it.

I lived in Mountain View back then, so I typically got up early Saturday morning, and rode my motorcycle to Milpitas to check if there was any activity.  For some reason I knew this train was coming, so I was able to climb down to the tracks (naughty me!) and get the photo.  Normally I would chase it to Altamont or even Stockton, but for some reason I don't have any additional photos from that day.  WP2010 did lead that train a couple times on Saturdays during that time, but this was the only day I saw it with 2 F's back to back behind it.

Bill Kepner

Date: 04/03/17 17:54
Author: jimB

Bill,

When I moved to the South Bay in 1979 I was surprised to hear the flat F unit horns on a Saturday norning from our new house in the Berryessa District. The chase was on, and was a frequent occurance Saturday mornings while the WP lived. I have at least three different consists with 2010 leading the SJM, although usually it was the four F's. Great on Altamont and in Niles Canyon. Those were fun times.

Jim B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds