Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Nostalgia & History > Powder River Basin Power, 1990s Style

Date: 03/29/17 13:03
Powder River Basin Power, 1990s Style
Author: TheNavigator

In the mid-1990s, trains ran virtually non-stop in Wyoming’s PRB.  The continuous action provided by BN/BNSF and UP/C&NW, together with the variety of coal hoppers and their various reporting marks, more than made up for the sameness of the single commodity being transported.  I was able to make three brief trips to the area, and thought I’d post a selection of shots from those busier times.

Thanks for looking back,
GK      

1.  BN 9503, one of only four SD60MACs built, leads two of BN’s usual PRB power SD70MACs and a train of hoppers up Logan Hill toward the mines in June, 1996.  The SD60MACs were constructed to test Siemens’ AC traction motor technology, and were the only units to wear this unique demonstrator/BN paint scheme.

2.  BNSF 9724 with two more BN SD70MACs are in charge of the experimental Trough Train as seen from the Walker Creek Rd. overpass.  (I think I’m one of the few who actually likes the “Grinstein Green” paint scheme these units wore.)

3.  The Trough Train consisted of several articulated sets of cars designed to carry more than an “average” coal hopper.  However, after being placed in service, their lighter-weight construction proved just a bit too flimsy and they were ultimately removed from service and scrapped.

More to follow.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/17 17:00 by TheNavigator.

Date: 03/29/17 13:04
Re: Powder River Basin and Environs, 1990s

4.  BN C33-7 5576 and whiteface C30-7 5078 mingle with Oakway SD60s at Rozet.  Trains could often be found tied down here.

5.  UP AC44/60CW 7033, followed by C&NW Dash8 8515 and a leased EMD SD70M are returning to the mines, about to pass beneath the Highway 59 overpass north of Bill.

6.  On the Black Hills Sub near Newcastle, three BN SD70MACs led by 9557 are enroute to the mines.

Date: 03/29/17 13:06

7.  In June 1997, I caught a light engine move of 5 SD70MACs near Walker.

8.  C&NW Operation Lifesaver Dash9 and 2 UP units with fuel tender UPT 7 sandwiched in between.

9.  Near Reno Jct. in June 1998, BN SD60M 9214 leads a colorful consist including MRL blue and Santa Fe yellow-bonnet power .

Date: 03/29/17 13:06

10.  Three C&NW Operation Lifesaver Dash9’s led by 8824 approach the UP facility at Bill.

Date: 03/29/17 14:00
Author: jbohdan2

Stunning collection.  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 03/29/17 17:28
Author: texchief1

Nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 03/29/17 19:01
Author: SCKP187

Fabulous set.  Many items in here we wish we could have back for more photo ops.  Nice shots.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/29/17 19:14
Author: The_Chief_Way

Beautiful. Only the scenery hasn't changed.

Date: 03/29/17 19:50
Re: Powder River Basin Power, 1990s Style
Author: GP30Frank

I liked the Grinstein Green also, but what I remember most about the SD70MAC's were how loud they ran when we followed them along Nebraska Highway #2 ,  coming east out of Alliance ,  and how loud the horns were.

Date: 03/29/17 20:50
Author: oyw

Great times for sure! Thanks for the look back Gary.

Date: 03/30/17 03:21
Author: cozephyr

John Carr wrote...
Here is a little history on the Trough Train taken from my book "Western Coal". BN's Trough Train has bounced around the system serving several power companies.

During 1995 it was going to Union Electric Company's Sioux power plant in Machens, MO.  In October of 1997 it started serving Pacific Power and Light's power plant at Centralia, WA.  The trough train was removed from service in November 1999 for repairs as mentioned in an earlier post.  In February 2000, the 23 BN Trough Train cars began service to Harrington Station at Amarillo, TX. During 2001, the Trough Train always loaded at the Antelope mine.

Date: 03/30/17 08:17
Author: ntharalson

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beautiful. Only the scenery hasn't changed.

Not exactly.  These days, the trackage at Walker and Bill is triple track and in the immediate Bill area
is quadruple, yes FOUR, tracks  Logan Hill is four tracks and when I drove past Black Thunder Mine
in 2015, there were five trains either loading or unloading.  The Rozet Yard is now a staging area with
its own switcher.  When I first went there is the 70's it was just a passing track, the switch to the Orin
Sub was hand throw single track and Wyoming 59 crossed the whole mess at grade. So yes, the basic
scenery hasn't changed much, except in the areas of the mine themselves, but a whole lot of other
things you can see have changed, and changed a lot!

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/30/17 09:14
Author: TCnR

Very cool photos at recognizable spots. The Walker Creek road overpass now has a sign on it that says 'no fishing from bridge', probably due to all the photographers in harms way while the large road trucks pass by.

Was able to watch one of the last 'trough-trains' leaving Auburn Washington going over a newly re-opened Stampeded Pass. As it passed there was a sush-shush noise and a trail of ground coal that had been stuck between the over-lapping panels somewhere in the car sides.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0753 seconds