Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Nostalgia & History > Milwaukee Road Heat Tender

Date: 03/29/17 18:14
Milwaukee Road Heat Tender
Author: odub

In the fall of 1975, we moved to Aberdeen, SD.  I worked early mornings at Northern State College and had free time in the afternoons.  Being the good guy that I am, I went in and spent some time with the Division Superintendent, ultimately asking him if I could get permission to prowl the Milwaukee property shooting pictures.  Certainly, he said, as long as I was careful.  Sadly, I didn't have much in the way of moolah so I didn't have a lot of film money, but I did get out several times.  Ultimately, Milwaukee Road hired me as an extra-board telegrapher/agent.  

One of the sights of my wanderings was this Heat Tender that was parked on a distant track in the Aberdeen Yard.  It was obviously being dismantled and ultmately disappeared - I always assumed to be scrapped.  I understand it was used as a steam generator for passenger trains that were being pulled by non-steam generator equiped power.  

Other than that, I don't much about it, so if anyone can fill in some information, I'd really appreciate it.

Don
Yreka

Date: 03/29/17 21:06
Re: Milwaukee Road Heat Tender
Author: up833

OMI did a brass model similiar to this..or the same one maybe...#72 that was used with Little Joes...according to this site:
[www.brasstrains.com]

Date: 03/29/17 23:39
Author: krm152

Very interesting post.
Several railroads built steam generator cars or heater cars from tenders. They were great candidates for conversion because of their heavy frames.
Two of the roads that built these cars were D&RGW and NP.
D&RGW built two heater cars using frames from L-105 (4-6-6-4) Tenders. These cars were numbered #250 & #251.
NP built five heater cars using frames from A (4-8-4) Tenders. These cars were numbered #H1 - #H5.
ALLEN

Date: 03/30/17 09:16
Author: CPR_4000

Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo built an s/g car from a former NYC Hudson tender, which is at Steamtown these days. Also the Ontario & Western built one or two on tender frames, but the carbodies matched their EMD F units.

Date: 03/30/17 20:27
Author: SD45X

WP had a couple as well.

Date: 03/31/17 02:00
Author: oldbleu

I'm thinking this tender came from one of Milwaukee's F-6 or F-6a Hudsons. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds