Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Nostalgia & History > Missing the Highline

Date: 03/29/17 20:48
Missing the Highline
Author: casavoye

Its been a long winter and at times, we all wondered if the Canyon Sub and Highlines would survive the big stoms of February. I for one have not been up on the highline since the WP days and look forward to seeing what it looks like today. As the Winter turns to Spring, I thought I would share few memories from those camping weekends in the 70's and hope it gets a few more contributors to post their adventures from yesterday and today. 

One weekend we chased BN138 from Keddie to Almanor.

Photo 1 BN138 leaving Keddie
Photo 2 Across the high meadow near Cresent Mills 
Photo 3 Blasting out of the Tunnel near Wolf Creek and Highway 89 on the climb to Almanor

Date: 03/29/17 20:57
Re: Missing the Highline
Author: up833

How sweet  was!  Thanks for posting..
Roger Beckett

Date: 03/29/17 21:49
Author: DynamicBrake

Great looking trio.  I, too miss the Highline.  Love that third shot.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 03/29/17 22:01
Author: JamesSchlinger

All are great shots but #3 is the winner! Awesome shots. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/30/17 03:42
Author: kgmontreal

Number 2 is a beauty.

KG

Date: 03/30/17 05:03
Author: SPDRGWfan

The high line photo's from that time never disappoint!  Thanks!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 03/30/17 06:32
Author: icancmp193

casavoye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  I for one have
> not been up on the highline since the WP days and
> look forward to seeing what it looks like today.
>
While today's Highline has certainly lost most of the personality and charm of the WP days it is now a pretty excellent secondary mainline with mostly welded rail and running huge tonnage trains, particularly southbound. Unfortunately, there is not huge train frequency (although one must consider that 5,000-6,000 tons might have been a big train in the WP era, and now we have 10,000-12,000 tons). Somedays I may only see two trains go past my window, although last Saturday I heard or saw 7 in 24 hours. The countryside, of course, remains beautiful.

Tom Y

Date: 03/30/17 10:23
Author: Zephyr

Nice!  Doc Jones and I just explored the High Line up to Greenville a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, no trains and it was raining very lightly.  Your photos capture the essence of this line and what it was like when the WPRR trains operated on the route.  Great shots!

Pete

Date: 03/31/17 09:22
Author: 3rdswitch

Great trio. Don't have many shots of WP above Keddie but here are a couple, one climging out of Keddie (top) and another climbing through Greenville (bottom).
JB

Date: 03/31/17 10:04
Author: casavoye

Thanks to John Carr and JB for their shots posted above ! Talk about flashbacks. Your photos brought back a ton of memories!! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds