Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Nostalgia & History > EJ&E center cab Griffith In.

Date: 04/12/17 14:07
EJ&E center cab Griffith In.
Author: PRRFan

Center Cabs Nov 1971.
         PRRFan

Date: 04/12/17 14:21
Re: EJ&E center cab Griffith In.
Author: mopacrr

When did the J go from the green and orange to a solid orange scheme.?  How many paint scheme did the J have?  I counted at least four at any one time.

Date: 04/12/17 14:37
Author: refarkas

Thanks for sharing these. Those Baldwin/EMD Re-engined Baldwin centercabs were massive units. 
Bob

Date: 04/12/17 15:20
Author: Bob3985

Nice catches. I used to visit Griffith as well and catch the J, GTW, EL, C&O, and PC. Great that all 5 railroads crossed on that road crossing. They had a crossing gateman stationed there named Cliff.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/17 19:37 by Bob3985.

Date: 04/12/17 15:27
Author: ns2557

mopacrr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When did the J go from the green and orange to a
> solid orange scheme.?  How many paint scheme did
> the J have?  I counted at least four at any one
> time.
Were these not at one time Birmingham Southern Units?  Paint job looks like it.   Ben

Date: 04/12/17 16:22
Author: SD45X

Think the J got theirs new

Date: 04/12/17 18:11
Author: Atlpete

As a kid frequently staying in Park Forest with my mother's extended family, during the sixties I got to see the EJ&E's centercabs switch the IC Matteson interchange nearly daily "up close and personal." The rebuilds alternating irregularly with the orignal Baldwin hoods, both had there charms: the origional Baldwins were visually sleek but sounded like tractors, the rebuilds sounded like two GP's with the added visual bonus of those BIG fans coming at you. One of them would "fill up" the grade crossing so that you would think they're the longest engine in the world.
Great memories! 
Thanks!

Date: 04/12/17 19:12
Author: dcfbalcoS1

And very recently out of the paint shop too, maybe less than a week.

Date: 04/12/17 19:40
Author: Bob3985

The J centercab Baldwins (700's) were originally all orange. They when they were re-engined by EMD (900's) they went to green and red. The smaller switchers were the faded brown color. I remember they had smaller road power (500's) pulling the bowl tracks in Joliet and were all orange.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/12/17 19:56
Author: ATSF100WEST

This was the original paint scheme from Baldwin. It was also how their SD7's(9's?) were painted. Then they went to solid orange. The switchers were a dark bronze.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 04/12/17 23:12
Author: wabash2800

Baldwin could sure built some beast diesels couldn't it? I had the good fortune to see and photograph a couple of these beasts on the Milwaukee Road interchange track at Rondout, Illinois.

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/17 21:28 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/13/17 14:12
Author: Seventyfive

Those J centercabs are unbelievable.  Can never see too many photos of them.  
The third photo with J 444 looks like they are crossing the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal,
and Inland Steel is on the right.  The height of those high tension electric towers is incredible.

Thanks for all four excellent photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1992 seconds