Home Open Account Help 399 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pickering Lumber's Bill Scott

Date: 10/22/04 21:50
Pickering Lumber's Bill Scott
Author: SierraRail

The Late, Great, Bill Scott is at the throttle of Pickering Lumber Corp. Extra 102-101West as it descends the 4 percent grade above Twain Harte, Calif. on September 5, 1965. Photo taken from cupola of caboose #05, while doubling the hill between Newell Siding and Long Siding with empty cars.

Date: 10/22/04 21:54
Re: Pickering Lumber's Bill Scott

Here he is! The one and only Bill Scott! Bill was born in 1901, thus his favorite locomotive was SW-900 #101. Engine 101 was the only Pickering Lumber locomotive fitted-out with two-way radio, on Bill Scott's orders. Bill is seen here talking to his fans, in the gangway of shay #8, December 4, 1965.

Date: 10/22/04 22:10

In late October, 1960, I was in the cab of SW-900 #101 with Bill Scott at Sierra Railroad's Fassler Yard. Bill was a staunch Democrat, and the election between John Kennedy and Richard Nixon was days away. Bill asked me "who are you backing for President". I told him I was for Nixon. Bill glared at me, and finally responded, "That's OK, I like you anyway"! We remained good friends until his death.

Date: 10/23/04 00:37
Author: USRailfan

Great pictures, thanks for posting. Do you remember what colors the locomotives and caboose were?

Date: 10/23/04 04:37
Author: topper

USRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you
> remember what colors the locomotives and caboose
> were?

Believe they were yellow and red.

Someone can correct me.

Date: 10/23/04 06:26
Author: WAF

Correct, the engine was yellow ( don't remember the red.. I was only 8-9 when I saw them run. The caboose was boxcar red no flames modelers). Used to watch them go by Twin Harte every morning to the mill about 9-10 AM. They would return with the empties between 11a and 2p. Occasionally, they would have another SW cut in on the loads as a helper. Great logging road. Glad I rode the PLA trips on Labor Day weekend 1971.

Date: 10/23/04 09:56
Author: lynnpowell

Regarding the first photo, why were the empties westbound? Was this at the very end of the railroad's operations and they were bringing the remaining rolling stock from the woods for scrapping?

Date: 10/23/04 13:55

WAF Wrote:

> Correct, the engine was yellow ( don't remember
> the red..

As I recall, the red portions were the frame, steps, and wind sheets, and on the top of the hood beginning slightly above the hood doors.

Date: 10/23/04 14:15

The only red paint on Pickering diesel engines was the red ring surrounding the pick on the side of the cab. They were yellow with black paint on the top of the hood. Stripes on front and rear were black and silver. Steps were black with white trim. The frame, trucks, fuel tanks, etc., were all black.

Date: 10/23/04 19:28

SierraRail Wrote:
> The only red paint on Pickering diesel engines was
> the red ring surrounding the pick on the side of
> the cab. They were yellow with black paint on the
> top of the hood. Stripes on front and rear were
> black and silver. Steps were black with white
> trim. The frame, trucks, fuel tanks, etc., were
> all black.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Date: 10/24/04 01:45
Author: USRailfan

Interesting discussion, thanks. Are there any more Pickering pictures??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds