Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Nostalgia & History > WP in Sacremento

Date: 11/06/04 09:36
WP in Sacremento
Author: xtra1188w

While I was visiting in Sacremento in March 11, 1986, we went to lunch at a good Spaghetti restaurant type of place in the former WP depot. Just as we were approaching the restaurant after parking the car, we heard this guy whistling for the crossing, UP #3777, eb. I couldn't have timed it better if I'd tried. This was a good place to eat and watch trains at the same time. Is the depot and restaurant still there?

Con

Date: 11/06/04 09:38
Re: WP in Sacremento
Author: xtra1188w

Here is what the opposite end of UP 3777's train looked like, as it was passing the former depot. March 11, 1986

Con

Date: 11/06/04 10:32
The Old Sphaghetti Factory
Author: hotrail

Last time I was in Sacto, they were still in the old WP depot. The same company has a restaurant in the former UP depot in Fullerton, CA. About 20 (?) years ago, the UP depot was moved from its former location south of the ATSF tracks. They actually placed it on the ATSF ROW, and moved it to the east side of Harbor Blvd., and then located it to the north of the tracks. Its current location is just across a small parking lot from the ATSF depot (used by Amtrak and Metrolink).
If you get a table at the end of the building near the tracks , you can see quite a bit of action.

Date: 11/06/04 14:49
Re: The Old Sphaghetti Factory
Author: Ed_Gyptian

Early on the Old Spaghetti Factories located themselves in older industrial buildings (hence "Factory")in areas that were being re-habbed, this often put them near the tracks. Some of the first actually have real Birney Cars in them. Most have replicas now. The supply of single truck birneys having dried up.

The San Diego OSF is in an old industrial supply company building and about 2 doors away from the "Trolley" and BNSF tracks. And IIRC you can see the action from the front.

Date: 11/07/04 07:21
Author: XSPBULL

Yep! The restaurant is still there (19th and J Streets) and extremely popular and the depot is in excellent condition. Inexpensive but great food, and BNSF and UP traffice coming by from time to time for entertainment!

Date: 09/30/07 13:44
Author: pismopete

You have this thread mislabled. It should say "UP in Sacramento" as the WP died in late 1982. Not even WP locomotives in your photo!! A case of false advertising!

Peter Arnold

Date: 10/01/07 08:47
Author: tracktime

pismopete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have this thread mislabled. It should say "UP
> in Sacramento" as the WP died in late 1982. Not
> even WP locomotives in your photo!! A case of
> false advertising!
>
> Peter Arnold

Aw geeze.. cut him some slack. To me, and to many others the trackage that was the WP, still is.

Date: 09/25/12 20:07
Author: mikecollins

Date: 02/25/15 11:42
Author: goldcoast

The SP will always be the SP.

Date: 02/25/15 13:31
Author: JLY

If you were born on the WP it won't die until you do.

Date: 02/25/15 13:37
Author: train1275

Whether UP or WP, it should be Sacramento not Sacremento should it not ?

Long Live the WP.

Date: 02/25/15 13:44
Author: Hoggerdude

Sacremento means it's a Holy place for some.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds