Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Nostalgia & History > ......

Date: 01/01/05 17:19
Author: ATSF100WEST

Perhaps foretelling of future events, a cloud ironically mutes this March, 1974 view of Union Pacific DDA40X 6903. The unit had but mere weeks left in service, before a tragedy would abruptly end its’ brief career.

It was to be the first DDA40X to leave the roster. Built in July, 1969, B/N 34529, she was wrecked on April 6, 1974 in a fatal rear-end collision on Cajon Pass, just east of Cajon Junction.

The 6903 was the lead unit on the westbound LAF, with sister unit 6924. At approximately 2200 hours, as the train descended the grade, the train’s crew encountered a “permissive” red block. This signal aspect meant they did not have to stop, but did have to reduce their train speed to “Restricted Speed”. This, by rule book definition, is “A speed that will permit stopping short of another train, obstruction, or switch not properly lined, but not exceeding 20 MPH”.

A Santa Fe westbound occupied the block, and the rear brakeman was not on the ground, flagging his train; rather, he was still seated in the cupola. The train was stopped about 1000’ beyond the aforementioned block signal.

The UP struck the caboose at approximately 30 MPH.

The head brakeman on the UP was killed instantly; the trains’ engineer, and the Santa Fe conductor, were both severely injured. The rear brakeman on the Santa Fe train, jumped from his cupola seat, sustaining multiple fractures.

The 6903 incurred major damage. The cab was ripped from the underframe, and the front hood section relegated to a mass of twisted steel. The 6924’ rear hood section was damaged as well, but was deemed repairable.

The hulk of the 6903 was moved to the Salt Lake City Shops, and subsequently retired. In June, 1974, it was sold for scrap, to the Purdy Company, in Lakepoint, Utah.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 13:39 by ATSF100WEST.

Date: 01/01/05 19:50
Re: The fate of UP DDA40X 6903......
Author: lynnpowell

I was railfanning Cajon the day they brought the wreckage of #6903 and some other equipment down the hill (to East LA?). I took several photos of the funeral train coming down the hill as far as Colton. While waiting for it at Colton Tower, a westbound SP passed with a DD35 in it's consist; the only time that I ever saw an SP DD35. I've got to get my slide collection digitalized!

Date: 01/01/05 23:43
Author: LesWhite

For wreck pictures see George R Cockle's book' Centennials In Action' [D D Croteau took a series of spectaclar pictures of 6903]

Date: 04/13/08 15:25
Author: upkpfan

ATSF100WEST,
Now that version makes more sense that pushing one up the hill and the running into it. I thought at first it was more like your version than the other one but has been a good many years since it happened. upkpfan

Date: 10/20/19 01:12
Author: coach

Before seeing the red permissive block signal, wouldn't the UP train have passed a solid yellow signal??  If so, time to start slowing down then??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0874 seconds