Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Nostalgia & History > questions for Frisco people

Date: 01/03/05 22:21
questions for Frisco people
Author: xtra1188w

Here's a photo that my dad took somewhere on the Frisco. I'll have to guess as to where and when. I think that I could make a fairly well educated guess as to the where, and maybe get fairly close as to when.
First, I'm guessing that this is at the Sherman Texas yard because dad had an older brother that was a Frisco hoghead out of Sherman, and second, probably in the late twenties, possibly the early thirties because of the looks of that little consolidation, and the hood of the car that dad shot the picture across the top of. My dad was a boomer telegrapher back then, but I am unsure of when he was where. In 1924 he had been with the UP at Laramie, and a little later on the B&O in Ohio. He more than likely worked for the Frisco at one time or another, but I can't say when. I'll tag another photo from the same time and place, but a different angle on this thread in a minute.
Does anybody that's knowledgeable of the Frisco have any comments here? Frisco1522, how about it?

Con

Date: 01/03/05 22:29
Re: questions for Frisco people
Author: xtra1188w

Okay, same deal here, but second verse. From the distance in this view, the number looks like "302", but if you enlarge it a couple of times, it becomes clear that it is really #802. I don't have a Frisco steam roster handy, so I can't look up when their #802 was scrapped or otherwise disposed of. This was scanned from an old negative that is fading. I tweaked it in my "Picture It" program the best that I could, and it was helped quite a bit from the untweaked version, but I have a lot to learn in photoshopping, and maybe someone that's more experienced than I am could improve the quality of some of these old images even more than I can.

Con

Date: 01/04/05 05:22
Re: questions for Frisco people
Author: Frisco1522

I'm going to take a wild guess and put the time frame in the early-mid thirties. I'll do a little snooping in my negs for other 800s, but I think most of these little guys lasted at least through the mid thirties.
Sherman would be as good a guess as anywhere else. I can't tell enough from the wide shot to get a feel for where it is. Wish I had the neg here to scan and Photoshop, maybe could bring up something more revealing.
Thanks for posting them.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0479 seconds