Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Nostalgia & History > SP colorful units

Date: 02/04/05 01:00
SP colorful units
Author: choochoocharlie

I was going to post some other shots, but since tonyj posted some photos of his favorite colorful SP units, and I had a few to be scanned at a later date, I thought now would be a more appropriate time to post these colorful SP units. I like them too.

The first shot is of the Eugene garden tracks just outside the roundhouse. Starting at the left edge is a regular SP SD9E, then we see in the background in the service area, #7033 a TE70-4S, McCloud River Railroad SD38-2 #38 (on lease to the SP), SP ALCO C628's #3116 and #3121, relieved of their hump duties and are scheduled to be scrapped, then at the far right edge is SP rotary snow plow #206.

Date: 02/04/05 01:05
Re: SP colorful units

One of my favorite photos is this one of TE70-4S #7031 leaving Eugene with a valley train, with McCloud River #39 and SP SD9E #4427. They will meet a train coming into the yard at Irving siding. The extra 7030 west with two more of the TE70's in the power consist.

Date: 02/04/05 01:10

Here is a rare instance where all 4 of the TE70's were together with an added SD9E #4425. This is the power for the Toledo train, termed the "Toledo Torpedo" by an SP employee. In order the TE70's were #7031, #7030, #7032 and #7033.

Date: 02/04/05 01:16

The first red and orange paint job given to the SP SD40 #7342 is this one. And it is different on both sides to test the different colors of lettering and even the scarlet nose bands are there on this side and different on the other as you will see.

Date: 02/04/05 01:18

Here is the engineer's side of 7342. Has white lettering and full red nose bands.

Date: 02/04/05 01:21

Here is the fireman's side of 7342. Red lettering and a solid red arc on the nose, no separate red/orange bands.

Date: 02/04/05 01:26

Here is the 7342 in it's second red and orange paint job. It leads the LABRF entering the Eugene yard for a crew change on the main. Behind the 7342 are SP #9049 and SP #8516 .

Date: 02/04/05 01:33

The rebuilt 7399 in it's similar paint job to the second one of 7342. It is in the power consist with the #7400, #7425, UP3643, #9263 and #9391 doing a double over, as the WCEUY was too long for one track.

Date: 02/04/05 01:39

And last, but not least, the first SP Kodachrome unit #7551 with fresh paint and white SP on the long hood. Soon to be changed to yellow. Sorry for the photo overload again, but I had to do it. I love the colorful SP units just like tonyj. (And probably a few more of you SP fans too.) My first love is steam, but that stuff is getting harder to find. (please don't tell my wife)............ C.C.Chas.

Date: 02/04/05 05:28
Author: rrfanatic

thanks for posting. Very interesting indeed, especially to a Midwesterner.

Date: 02/04/05 06:32
Author: Sawdust

No appologies needed! Your pictures are what keep me coming back.

Date: 02/04/05 09:51
Author: kstevens

I always thought that SP's fleet would have looked great painted to match 7399, but after a couple of months they would have been covered in grime and looked like the old grey units...

Date: 02/04/05 10:46
Thanks!!
Author: X4449

Great shots!!

Jim.

Date: 02/04/05 12:26
Author: BarstowRick

choochoocharlie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The rebuilt 7399 in it's similar paint job to the
> second one of 7342. It is in the power consist
> with the #7400, #7425, UP3643, #9263 and #9391
> doing a double over, as the WCEUY was too long for
> one track.

Thanks for sharing these pic's here on line. My favorite out of all the experimental themes is the #7399, looks to be an SD45. The SPSF merger paintscheme is one I would have liked to seen thru to fruition. Well, somethings are meant to be while others, aren't.

Edited Portion: My I have permission to save these pictures to a personal file?

RickH

Date: 02/04/05 12:40
Author: RV009

Thanks for posting. I just learned something from the 7551. I've never seen the rear light package like that. With the pulsating light instead of the gyralight. I know they changed over to that but never have seen it in the back. Thought they just had the red gyralight. Thanks again. If you have anymore rare rear shots, please post.

ray

Date: 02/04/05 22:48

I am happy that you enjoyed the photos. As for RickH, sure go ahead and save them to your personal file. I am sure some of the photos will help modelers too. And RV009, I do have shots of the backends of many of the SP's diesels. Some of Santa Fe's too. The SP SD45 rebuild program had similar light packages on the rear of the units. But after awhile, especially near the end, the rear light packages changed a bit depending on the unit. Hopefully "tracktime" or others can confirm this. I have photos of the 7562 and 7563 together (if my memory hasn't failed me)and both of those light packages differ from each other and the 7551. I took photos that show the difference.... C.C.Chas.

Date: 02/05/05 10:07
Re: Thanks!!
Author: Jefflocal

Great stuff! Those pictures of the 7342 make you want
to clear off the table and start modeling. I really found
that Toledo power interesting too as I hadn't heard of
those engines running on the Toledo branch. What a sight
they must have been snaking through the Coast Range.
Thanks for posting
Geoff

Date: 02/07/05 02:58
Re: Thanks!!

The Sulzer engined TE70's were used on many of the SP Oregon lines before thay were stored next to the Eugene roundhouse for a couple of years or more. They were used on the Siskiyou branch, Toledo branch, in helper service on the hill, made many trips to Brooklyn and UP's Albina yard, and other branches. But they had several problems and at least one or more were in for repairs at the Eugene shops. They could be seen on the garden tracks waiting for their turn to be repaired.

C.C.Chas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds