Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Nostalgia & History > Pecos River Bridge Amtrak 512 West Tr 1

Date: 02/21/05 11:22
Pecos River Bridge Amtrak 512 West Tr 1
Author: cozephyr

Texas fans called them "cutters", but they were better known as Pepsi Cans due to the paint scheme sported by Amtrak's 500's. "Cutters" came from the resemblance to US Coast Guard ships. Amtrak P32-8BWH 512 led train 1, the Sunset Limited, across the Southern Pacific's Pecos River Bridge in western Texas, July 5, 1992.

Date: 02/21/05 12:29
Re: Pecos River Bridge Amtrak 512 West Tr 1
Author: WAF

Musta have taken some balls to walk across the West Texas grazing range to get that shot. Either the Texas rattlers will get you first or the cowboys will (they take their cattle grazing ranges very personal). Remember the rule in Texas, the first shot is a freebie, the second you have to explain.... unless of course you shot it with a 400mm. You can get it with a 300mm from the highway.

Date: 02/21/05 13:30
Author: xtra1188w

If some Texans called these locos "Cutters" because they thought that they resembled Coast Gaurd cutters, they were probably smoking too many left handed cigarettes.

Con

Date: 02/21/05 13:56
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I went over that highway bridge (next to the rail bridge)
in the late 70's in a VW campmobile on the way to Big Bend
Nat'l Park, it was windy and was all I could do to keep that
box on wheels on the bridge.

Date: 02/21/05 16:53
Author: Railrev

Traveling west on the Sunset in 1997 was my first trip through this part of Texas. The conductor was providing an excellent travelogue through the area and said we would be crossing the highest bridge in Texas. Looked around and it was flat for miles in every direction.
Then we're on the bridge and get a chance to look down. What a view!
Great picture. Thanks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds