Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Nostalgia & History > In Honor of Judge McCarthy

Date: 03/17/05 09:34
In Honor of Judge McCarthy
Author: GrandeGold

By the end of the Great Depression, the financially bankrupt Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad needed a savior. Mr. Wilson McCarthy, a former judge was hired as president to rebuild the company and return it to profitable railroad. The visionary Wilson McCarthy did just that. To honor "The Judge" the forces at Denver's Burnham Shops converted a Prospector/Royal Gorge coach into the splendid business car #100, named "Wilson McCarthy" to honor their hero.

In this photo from 1979, the "Wilson McCarthy" trails the eastbound Rio Grande Zephyr at Provo station...

Date: 03/17/05 09:42
Official Business in Spanish Fork Canyon

The Rio Grande Zephyr would often host the "Wilson McCarthy" business car, coupled to the tail end of the train. On July 24, 1981, #18 is headed east up Soldier Summit on a sunny Sunday morning. Too bad for Rio Grande Zephyr patrons who wanted an unobstructed view from the rear of the Silver Sky observation car!

Date: 03/17/05 09:48
Pit Stop at Helper Depot

The Rio Grande Zephyr stopped briefly at Helper, Utah in both directions to change head end crews. The folks on board the Wilson McCarthy got a chance to stretch their legs on the platform in preparation for the long trip east across the Green River Desert to Grand Junction.

The Wilson McCarthy was renamed "Kansas" when Anchutz purchased the Rio Grande. It was even lettered Southern Pacific for a few years (heresy!). It continues to trail the Rio Grande Ski Train out of Denver to Winter Park, Colorado.

James

Date: 03/17/05 12:02
Re: Official Business in Spanish Fork Canyon
Author: thrucar

GrandeGold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Rio Grande Zephyr would often host the "Wilson
> McCarthy" business car, coupled to the tail end of
> the train. On July 24, 1981, #18 is headed east up
> Soldier Summit on a sunny Sunday morning. Too bad
> for Rio Grande Zephyr patrons who wanted an
> unobstructed view from the rear of the Silver Sky
> observation car!

Do you happen to have a shot of the front half of this train? It looks like it was carrying the ex-UP diner in place of Silver Banquet that day. Thanks.

Date: 03/17/05 12:09

thrucar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you happen to have a shot of the front half of
> this train? It looks like it was carrying the
> ex-UP diner in place of Silver Banquet that day.
> Thanks.

I have a couple of slides of the former UP diner. I will scan one and post it.

James

Date: 03/19/05 15:36
Author: the_expediter

In late summer 1981, I rode the RGZ from Salt Lake-Denver and return...I was dismayed to see the WM on the tail on the ride back from Denver. I shot this in Grand Jct., CO, during the station stop... don't think I have any shots looking at it from the inside rear of Silver Sky...Steve

Date: 03/31/13 00:56
Author: DNRY122

I suppose anyone saying "Here come the Judge!" would be severely chastised.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds