Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Nostalgia & History > 1957 WP "Cariboo Country Special"

Date: 03/20/05 09:13
1957 WP "Cariboo Country Special"
Author: TonyJ

Whie going through boxes and boxes of recently donated materials I found this brochure for the July 13-20, 1957 Seven-day, all-expense scenic rail tour over the Western Pacific, Great Northern, SP&S and the Pacific Great Eastern.

Over 3500 miles over five railroads though Feather River Canyon, Deschutes River Canyon, Columbia River Gorge and Puget Sound. The most expensive ticket was $305.00 for a Single Bedroom Compartment.

I scanned the one side showing the route map, prices and timetable. Wish we could turn the clock back to 1957. - Tony J.

Date: 03/20/05 14:53
Re: 1957 WP "Cariboo Country Special"
Author: trainjunkie

WOW! Totally cool route. I had never heard of this excursion before. If the AOE or some similar first class excursion train did this same trip today, I'd be on it like a monkey on a cupcake! Thanks Tony!

-Trainjunkie

Date: 03/21/05 17:07
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hey Tony.. I definitely remember those trips-- I think it was run more than once. I definitely remember that "Cariboo" name. Let's run it again--I'm sure that UPRR and BNSF won't mind..

JB at UPRR might like to ride it himself, who knows!!

KRK

Date: 03/22/05 15:49
Author: mundo

Yes, indeed, several of them were operated.

Some day I will find my photo's

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds