Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Nostalgia & History > A few P.R.R. GG-1's at New Brunswick, N.J.

Date: 07/01/05 04:04
A few P.R.R. GG-1's at New Brunswick, N.J.
Author: gg1tim

Here is GG-1 # 4841 with 3 other G's eastbound thru New Brunswick, N.J. on 04-30-68 heading for the Waverly yard in Newark.

Date: 07/01/05 04:06
Re: A few P.R.R. GG-1's at New Brunswick, N.J.

A late afternoon picture of GG-1 # 4837 westbound thru New Brunswick, N.J on 09-02-65.

Date: 07/01/05 04:07

GG-1 # 4845 leads another G across the Raritan River at New Brunswick, N.J. westbound on 07-02-66

Date: 07/01/05 04:08

GG-1 # 4880 heads eastbound thru New Brunswick, N.J. station on its way to Waverly yard in Newark..

Date: 07/01/05 05:48
Author: Krokodil

Your pictures just make one realize how much has changed on the NEC, great shots,thanks for posting!

ThomasE

Date: 07/01/05 06:54
Author: Cabin

Thanks for the memories.........

I sure miss those G's.

Cabin
Pequea, PA

Date: 07/01/05 10:19
Author: Gateway97

Those four girls in the first pic all have their pans up! Are they all drawing power, do you suppose? That would be some 20,000+ Hp on the head end! Nice pics!

Date: 07/01/05 11:42
Author: Enginecrew

gg1tim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A late afternoon picture of GG-1 # 4837 westbound
> thru New Brunswick, N.J on 09-02-65.

Good shots, thanks for posting! While I'm here let me ask a question: I realize the old PRR was an east and west railroad out through Harrisburg and on to Chicago but what about the mainline to NY (NE Corridor), is that considered railroad east traveling north and obviously railroad west when traveling south, thus making the entire line eastbound and westbound? Also, what are the division names between Washington, DC and NYC and where is the division point?

Many thanks for any info.

Date: 07/01/05 12:09
Author: MW4man

Enginecrew Wrote:
> Good shots, thanks for posting! While I'm here
> let me ask a question: I realize the old PRR was
> an east and west railroad out through Harrisburg
> and on to Chicago but what about the mainline to
> NY (NE Corridor), is that considered railroad east
> traveling north and obviously railroad west when
> traveling south, thus making the entire line
> eastbound and westbound? Also, what are the
> division names between Washington, DC and NYC and
> where is the division point?
>
> Many thanks for any info.
>

The NEC is an East-West railroad from New York to Zoo and west to Harisburg. (On the map the track actually runs more East Northeast than north and south).

From Zoo to Washington is listed as railroad North and South, but it too runs more east and west than north and south on the map.

The currently there are two divisions between New York and Washington. The New York Division runs from NYC to MP 76 (near Holmesburg Jct.), and the Mid-Atlantic Division runs from MP 76 through Phila to Washington.

The old divisions in the PRR days were:

New York Division NYC to Holmes
Philadelphia Terminal or PT Division Holmes to MP 6.4 (Darby)
Chesapeake Division MP 6.4 to MP 134.8 (New York Ave)
Washington Terminal Company

Date: 07/01/05 12:17
Author: MW4man

Gateway97 Wrote:
> Those four girls in the first pic all have their
> pans up! Are they all drawing power, do you
> suppose? That would be some 20,000+ Hp on the head
> end! Nice pics!

Actually closer 40,000 HP! G's were rated at 4800 continuous but could put 10,000 on the rail for about 8 minutes in the short term overload. Never saw four of them hooked up on the head end before.

I remember an special instruction limiting a train to no more than three electrics on the head end, and if there were more the extra engines had to be cut out.

Although I have seen numerous times two on the front and two on the back. Used to watch the bond wires glow in the dark at Haverford when an ore train was charging up the hill from Overbrook. Dull red stripes at every joint and then a head light would appear.

Date: 07/01/05 15:03
Re: PRR divisions
Author: timz

Chesapeake Division/Region... that started in 1956? Maryland Division before that? Baltimore Division disappeared maybe 1941?

Date: 07/03/05 10:01
Author: lee_uintah

PRR 4935 hauls Amtrak through Odenton, Maryland, northbound in 1978

Date: 10/17/14 05:04
Author: RGDave

MWForeman wrote:
Although I have seen numerous times two on the front and two on the back. Used to watch the bond wires glow in the dark at Haverford when an ore train was charging up the hill from Overbrook. Dull red stripes at every joint and then a head light would appear.
---------------------------

WOW - that is a photograph I can picture in my mind, but one I'd love to see! The amount of current required to generate that sort of HP is amazing.

Really neat discussion!

~RGDave
(From MP 9.3 on the NEC)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds