Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Nostalgia & History > Super Fleet Double Stacks - 1995

Date: 07/27/05 16:55
Super Fleet Double Stacks - 1995
Author: HUSKERHERB

In the Spring of 1995, Dash 8-40CW #879 East leads its double stack consist around the sweeping curve at the east end of Rowen in Tehachapi Pass. At this time, double stacks were still relatively new over the Pass.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/27/05 20:18
Re: Super Fleet Double Stacks - 1995
Author: Red

BEAUTIFUL shot. Gosh...seeing this on the Nostalgia and History board (and, this IS the correct board for this now)...really makes me feel my age. I remember when the "Super Fleet" scheme was a new, exciting concept.

I'm glad that there are a large number of these warbonnets still left, and, many are remarkably clean...some look almost as good as the new one you got there.

Just my opinion...but I think "BNSF" would have been smart to have maintained brand identity by calling the combined operation "SANTA FE", and kept these colors. Perhaps they could have cut out the full Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe...and just shortened it to "Santa Fe".

What's nostalgic about "BN"? Would BN employees have truly cared if they called the new company Santa Fe?

Speculation: if and when the UP and BNSF become transcons when they each end up merging with one of the two easterns, perhaps one will be called simply "Santa Fe". You can rest assured...no debate needed...that the other WILL be called "UNION PACIFIC".

Great photo!!!

Date: 07/27/05 21:57
Author: Evan_Werkema

Red Wrote:

> Would BN employees have truly cared if they called the new company
> Santa Fe?

My impression is that, yes, many would have cared. As it is, many feel that BNSF management is narrowly focused on the ex-ATSF "transcon" to the detriment of the ex-BN. Calling the railroad plain old "Santa Fe" would have been an even bigger blow to morale.

Date: 07/28/05 10:39
Author: TheButcherofBena

Evan: I'm pretty sure you'll find a like number of former ATSF guys who complain that the BNSF is run (and ruined by) ex BN guys. Reminds me of a short dissertation by Paul Schneider in his book "Burlington Northern Diesel Locomotives" in which he recalls rails complaining about their railroad post merger. Basically, it's: "This railroad was run pretty good until the merger; now it's gone to hell." Now I just know, in the not too distant future; alot of my peers on the BNSF who complain about how the railroad is run today, are going to recall the "good ol days of the BNSF" before the merger with NS/CSX, (or whoever it may be)!

Date: 07/28/05 20:20
Author: BNSFhogger

Yes, as a matter of fact I would have been incensed at managment if they had called the combined railroad "Santa Fe."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds