Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > A question I have been meaning to ask...

Date: 08/07/05 10:33
A question I have been meaning to ask...
Author: cota1992

But as I have only been around deisels, what sound did the electric locomotives make? Were they quiet like the Metro/SD Trolley cars or what did they sound like under power? I would think that aside from the horn and train noise they might be able to sneak up on you unlike a deisel or steam. That's just a guess but something I have been wondering about every time I see a GG1 photo or a Milw Road photo out west.
Thanks in advance and sorry if it's been asked before.
Art in DC

Date: 08/07/05 12:52
Re: A question I have been meaning to ask...
Author: M-420

I got to spend a lot of time around the BC Rail GF6C's... Mostly they just make a lot of traction morot growl.. You're right, they can be very quiet. I have read the the Milwaukee Bipolars always had their bell going let people know they were coming,,,,

Brian E

Date: 08/07/05 14:14
Author: lurchdel

I almost bought the farm at Washington Terminal in the late 1970's. Forgot the "Any train, on any track, at any speed, in any direction" rule. Crossed yard track way to close to the front of a standing GG1. It moved with me between the rails. Very close call. Traction made no noise, no bell, no horn, no "Hey idiot get out of the way." I was wearing a white hardhat at the time, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Date: 08/07/05 16:15
Author: filmteknik

Some make lots of whooshing cooling fan noise.

Date: 08/07/05 17:56
Author: BRAtkinson

About 25 years ago, I was between trains in Washington DC and took the metro out to Landover to catch some freight action, too. The tower operator let me know what was coming and when.

I went trackside to catch one train and while watching it disappear in the dust, a Metroliner came from the other direction at speed...80-100 I'd guess. I heard absolutely NOTHING until it was less than 10 feet from me! Then just the whoosh of air and a slight 'singing wire'. Fortunately, I was safely away from the roadbed, but it still scared the daylights out of me.

Date: 08/07/05 19:15
Author: feltonhill

I second the comment about the silence of a GG1. The deadliest locomotive in the world was a GG1 in the snow. Saw them many time at Columbia, PA. With a blanket of the white stuff, they were almost impossible to hear.

However.... For all their dignity and quiet from trackside, the GG1 sounded like a giant trolley car in the cab. I was fortunate to get a cab ride in the tunnel helper in Balto (1958) and there was lots of relay popping, vibration and gear noise when accelerating. Imagine getting that opportunity today!!

Now the E44's were another story. Not much finesse there. When accelerating a train under full power, they sounded like a cross between an amplified vacuum cleaner and a siren. Very very loud and impressive.

Date: 08/08/05 18:13
Author: cota1992

Thanks to all for the replies!!! I can see and hear that GG1 in my head gliding through the snow silently!! I wish I could have seen it.
Art in DC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds