Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Railfan Gaming > MSTS experts...Hellp needed...bad!

Date: 11/18/06 05:36
MSTS experts...Hellp needed...bad!
Author: trainman_43

This is a major but not unheard of problem...WHAT causes the game to crash back to the desktop with no error messages or anything? I run the Seligman sub, BNSF scenic route, and Willamette pass, thats it. I have re-install and getting rid of problem cars and engines yet the problem persists. ANY suggestions?

Date: 11/18/06 08:09
Re: MSTS experts...Hellp needed...bad!
Author: UP-4400CW

Yes, I have had that problem too. You see, MSTS is about 6 years old. It needs to be updated. It can't handle all these new systems, and new graphics sometimes. Even with the best of computers you will experience poor frame rates. We just have to look forward to a New Microsoft Train Simulator. For the most part, enjoy it and save the game alot.

Date: 11/18/06 16:48
Author: graybeard1942

From previous experience (I gave up on MSTS when I realized I needed a life), running out of RAM will dump the game in a blink. You would be surprised at how much garbage may be running in the background. There is a program out there called End It All; run that before loading MSTS and see what happens.

guy who bought the game six hours after it went on sale

Date: 11/18/06 19:05
Author: bnsfjth

UP-4400CW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We just have to look forward to a New Microsoft Train
> Simulator.

You'll probably never see that. Microsoft already canned Train Simulator 2 once. They are a smart enough company that they aren't going to repeat their mistake twice. Train Sim never had the broad appeal that their Flight Simulators has. That is why FlightSim is updated biannually and TrainSim died after one release. FlightSim has gone through some amazing changes over the years. It is a shame TrainSim will never get that chance.

-Justin

Date: 11/18/06 23:17
Author: trainman_43

well...Im sure if they DID give another shot....MANY would come back. Dont blame anyone for giving up on this piece of shit we were left with!

Date: 11/20/06 13:55
Author: bakersfielddave

trainman_43 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a major but not unheard of problem...WHAT
> causes the game to crash back to the desktop with
> no error messages or anything? I run the Seligman
> sub, BNSF scenic route, and Willamette pass, thats
> it. I have re-install and getting rid of problem
> cars and engines yet the problem persists. ANY
> suggestions?

delete loose consists which contain cars you might not have,run binary upgrade 1.6

check every consist for erors like missingccars and locos [use 'conbuilder']

Date: 11/21/06 05:13
Author: eashock

Sometimes when the game crashes, there IS an error message (Train Simulator has encountered an error...). However, because of the state of the game, it will crash back to the desktop immediatley. The reason you can't see the box is due to DirectX covering up the desktop. When the game "freezes," the box is there.

What happens sometimes (at least to me) is if there's a missing texture, the game will freeze, and a dialogue box will come up, tell me that I'm missing "whatever.ace" and ask me if I want to continue. However, I can't see the box because it's hidden behind the DirectX display that shows me the MSTS game screen. If I hit "Y," the game will continue on, and I simply won't see whatever item I was supposed to see (or... the game will crash anyways). If I hit any other button (especially Space Bar or Enter), I land back at the desktop with no other warning.

If you get a freeze like that, I would hit the "Windows" key that will automatically take you back to the desktop with MSTS minimized. That's usually how I'll end up seeing the dialogue box.

Hope this helps!

-Eric

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0844 seconds