Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Canadian Railroads > Then and Now: Bedford, NS

Date: 10/23/09 10:14
Then and Now: Bedford, NS
Author: cn6218

Near mile 9 of CN's Bedford Sub in Nova Scotia is a location once known as Moirs Mills. The Moirs Chocolate Company used to have a mill here to produce cardboard boxes for their products. It even included a small hydroelectric station to generate power. It's been gone for decades now, although when there were still ABS signals at this location, I would hear crews use that name when calling the signals, so the historic name has stuck, at least in my mind.

These days, the old north track, the MLWs that are on it, and the signals are all gone. On June 24, 1997, train 507 out of Rockingham yard had M420Ws 3501 and 3543 for power as they went west to Windsor Jct. to switch the interchange with the Windsor & Hantsport, and the cement facility at Bedford Quarry. In their place on October 9 of this year, is CTC on the remaining track (that junction box marks the middle of the block approaching Millview), some newly rebuilt F40s and Renaissance passenger cars on the Ocean, and a large part of Bedford Basin in the background has been filled in to make a park and marina.

GTD

Date: 10/23/09 13:08
Re: Then and Now: Bedford, NS
Author: kgmontreal

OMG! Where did all the water go? Duh!

KG

Date: 10/24/09 04:39
Author: navy5717th

Isn't Locomotive 6402 one of the recently upgraded ones?

Fritz in Huntsville, AL

Date: 10/24/09 06:36
Author: cn6218

navy5717th Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't Locomotive 6402 one of the recently upgraded

Yes, it is. And although you can't tell in this picture, 6454 behind it is as well. After a slow start, they seem to be showing up on the Ocean more frequently. Off the top of my head, 6400, 6402, 6452, 6454, and 6457, have all been to Halifax.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds