Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA's Baggage Restrictions Are Now Enforced

Date: 11/03/12 12:02
VIA's Baggage Restrictions Are Now Enforced
Author: DrawingroomA

Further to a previous posting about the new on-board baggage policy, this is now being enforced as of the 1st of November. Although the new rules were supposedly effective on the 11th of October, they were only theoretical. I took a VIA trip from Toronto Union on the 1st and noticed electronic scales in many places: the Panorama Lounge, the red cap meeting area (known as the red light), at every gate and even in the middle of the boarding concourse. If this wasn't enough, there was an employee with a mobile scale who was walking down the queue for train 60. Some passengers were getting annoyed with this overkill. I was on a short trip and travelling with a small bag, not much bigger than my wife's purse, and when I offered to have it weighed the gate attendant (whom I've known for a long time) smiled and said he doubted it weighed more than 40 pounds. There are many comments form angry passengers on VIA's Facebook site.

I have mixed feelings on this policy. If there were more trains with checked baggage service I could understand it. We need not read any more typical railfans' comments that passengers shouldn't travel with baggage. While I have no doubt that some people do take too much with them, VIA operates in the real world and many people have a very good reason for travelling with the luggage they do. When I travel in Canada I can travel light and even when I fly domestically I rarely have to check my luggage. But when I travel overseas there is no way I can travel with only "carry on" light luggage because we "cross the pond" at least one way by ship. There is no way we could have dinner in the Queen's Grill (or even a lesser restaurant) of a Cunard liner if we dressed as railfans (implied smiley face here!) In the busy tourist season we see many overseas visitors who have luggage with them that would not meet VIA's new policy. Fortunately long-distance trains have a baggage car, but most corridor trains do not.

Date: 11/03/12 12:22
Re: VIA's Baggage Restrictions Are Now Enforced
Author: Lackawanna484

Airlines get a lot of push back from flight attendants who are asked to help customers lift enormously heavy bags into over head bins. Many airlines fail to enforce their own weight rules for carry-ons, and charge for the more sensible check-through for bags.

Date: 11/04/12 00:53
Author: poffcapt

What is the new rule, and what did they do with the people who were over the limit?

Date: 11/04/12 05:34

poffcapt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the new rule, and what did they do with
> the people who were over the limit?

Here is the on-line version of the rules:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/baggage/carry-baggage

At the stations there is a pamphlet which opens up to eight pages of information. The train I was travelling on had a baggage car. Over-sized or overweight luggage went there. There is no baggage car on most trains, however. The 12:15 departure for Ottawa and Montreal is the last one of the day with a baggage car. I saw one elderly couple, each of whom had mobility issues, travelling with an enormous case and they were not willing to check it. They were trying to get a red cap to take it on to their coach. I don't know what happened to them. It used to be that red caps could get around the rules, but they have been instructed not to do that.

Date: 11/04/12 10:30
Author: poffcapt

Eight pages of information? I hope a passenger gets to peruse that long before he buys a ticket! I did go in and "Like" VIA on Facebook so I could take a look at comments. I think the most valid point I read was questioning how people were supposed to prepare for a long trip.

Without my having to read through 8 pages of "lawyerese" (had to get that in for all of you attorneys!), could you tell me if this 40 lb. rule is per bag, or total for all luggage you are carrying? Thanks.

Date: 11/05/12 05:43

That baggage policy pamphlet doesn't appear to be have been written by a solicitor (it's simple language!) and it contains information on checked baggage, bicycles, pets, grocery boxes, etc.

As a point of interest, effective the 10th of Dec. there are some changes coming to VIA's schedules. Instead of cut-backs, there is one additional round-trip train between Ottawa and Toronto (not an express as promised earlier) and also between Montreal and Quebec City. According to Reservia these trains will use LRC equipment. The last remaining Renaissance-equipped trains between Toronto nad Montreal (#52 and #659 - the latter operating via Ottawa) will become LRC trains. For joy, for joy: just a few weeks after the new baggage policy becomes strictly enforced, there will be fewer trains with checked baggage service.

Date: 11/06/12 07:53
Author: DavidP

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Airlines get a lot of push back from flight
> attendants who are asked to help customers lift
> enormously heavy bags into over head bins. Many
> airlines fail to enforce their own weight rules
> for carry-ons, and charge for the more sensible
> check-through for bags.

US carriers are far more lenient on cabin baggage that foreign ones in my experience. I nearly always carry on all my baggage when traveling for business - UA and US have never question the weight, while LH, BA and others very often do.

Anyone who want to avoid paying a checked bag fee in the US, at least for suitcases, knows to drag it to the gate where the airline with check it for you at no fee.

Dave

Date: 11/06/12 08:02
Author: Lackawanna484

DavidP Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Airlines get a lot of push back from flight
> > attendants who are asked to help customers lift
> > enormously heavy bags into over head bins. Many
> > airlines fail to enforce their own weight rules
> > for carry-ons, and charge for the more sensible
> > check-through for bags.
>
> US carriers are far more lenient on cabin baggage
> that foreign ones in my experience. I nearly
> always carry on all my baggage when traveling for
> business - UA and US have never question the
> weight, while LH, BA and others very often do.
>
> Anyone who want to avoid paying a checked bag fee
> in the US, at least for suitcases, knows to drag
> it to the gate where the airline with check it for
> you at no fee.
>
> Dave

Overall, that's been my experience, too, although I avoid US Airways at all costs.

Bloomberg reports this morning that Spirit Airlines will charge $100 if they have to take your carry on at the gate due to weight or size. "Just" $35 if you check it at the ticket counter.

The romance of travel...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds