Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Canadian Railroads > Train to Gaspe

Date: 11/12/12 19:32
Train to Gaspe
Author: jp1822

Has there been any progress to restore the train (as a train) all the way to Gaspe? This line has been out for a year now right?

This was a hidden gem in my eyes.

With the new Ocean schedule in effect and on a tri-weekly frequency, is there any hope that the Ocean and train to Gaspe will operate on seperate schedules completely - perhaps even with a Park Car in tow? How is this train operating now, compared to the Ocean. Aren't there days where it can't be attached westbound to an Ocean trainset?

The train to Gaspe always seemed to have descent patronage - at least in the sleepers - whenever I was onboard it. VIA should have the equipment to operate the train to Gaspe as demand exists.....

Date: 11/13/12 11:55
Re: Train to Gaspe
Author: reindeerflame

A bit marginal, given the low population. Probably not a good fit for VIA. A bus connection likely would work almost as well.

Date: 11/13/12 14:38
Author: joemvcnj

When the train was running to Gaspe, how many people typically ride it east of where they split ?

VIA doesn't seem much interested in their "corridors" west or Toronto ether.
Niagara Falls has ceased to be one. Ths Stratford line to London is also a joke.

Date: 11/13/12 14:50
Author: cn6218

They are still working on repairing bridges east of New Carlisle. Progress seems painfully slow.

The company which maintains the line and runs what little freight is there has just bought another RS-18u however, so they seem to have faith in the line's eventual restoration. The RS-18u will be used along with ex-AMT, neé-GO Transit coaches to operate a summer excursion train out of Gaspé catering to cruise ship passengers. The Hawker-Siddeley cars are being refurbished at the former paper mill in New Richmond.

GTD

Date: 11/13/12 17:39
Author: RuleG

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> This was a hidden gem in my eyes.
>
Yes, it was a gem. I rode the Chaleur in 1988 when FPA4s were the assigned power. I really enjoyed the sights along the coast along the way to Gaspe.

Unlike Montreal and Quebec City, where most people were bi-lingual, the Gaspe citizens spoke only French. Attempting to communicate using my rusty high-school French enhanced my experience.

Date: 11/13/12 19:21
Author: tq-07fan

Is it a pretty fair bet that the bridge work will not be complete enough for the train to go all the way to Gaspe by April or May of next year? I had originally planned on riding this route when I go on Holiday again this Spring but will likely go with the alternate plan which is to capture some of the remaining non-Novabus transit buses in the Province by riding the intercity bus network in Quebec. Quebec has a really good intercity bus network.

Jim

Date: 11/14/12 10:16
Author: shortlineboss

What is the route of the Gaspe and who operates the railroad?

Mike Root
Madras, OR

Date: 11/14/12 10:47

The line is owned by the communities along its route. Until 1998 it was part of CN's system.

It is maintained and freight is hauled by the Societe de Chemin de Fer de Gaspesie. (I probably mangled the French on that. Sorry.) I'm not sure of the exact structure of this company, whether it is owned collectively by the communities, or is a designated operator which is paid a subsidy to maintain the line.

The line runs from Matapedia, on the Quebec/New Brunswick border, east along the north shore of the Restigouche River and the Bay of Chaleur, 200 miles to Gaspe town.

You shouldn't have any trouble following it on Google Maps. Put in "Matapedia, QC" as your starting point.

GTD

Posted from BlackBerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/12 13:45 by cn6218.

Date: 11/14/12 14:02

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aren't there days where it
> can't be attached westbound to an Ocean trainset?
>

The schedules for both trains now coincide. Every eastbound train is split at Matapédia, and then recombined the next evening on the way back to Montreal. Instead of returning from Gaspé the same day, the trains lays over for the night, and then leaves westward about 1500 on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Of course for now, the train lays over at New Carlisle.

I think they are planning to change the crewing of the train as well. Previously, both crews were based in New Carlisle. One drove to Matapédia the night before, stayed in a motel there and took the train as far as New Carlisle the next morning. The second crew did a turn from New Carlisle to Gaspé and back, and then the first crew took the train back to Matapédia, stayed overnight in the motel, and then drove back home the next day. The new schedule will have the crews based in Campbellton (near Matapédia on the New Brunswick side). They will start the day in Matapédia, go 200 miles to Gaspé, stay overnight there, and then return the next day. It takes about 6 hours to go the 200 miles, so it's not an especially long day.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0685 seconds