Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Advertisement in Globe and Mail

Date: 11/17/12 12:51
VIA Advertisement in Globe and Mail
Author: DrawingroomA

It has been reported elsewhere that VIA has a full-page colour advert for the Canadian in today's Globe and Mail. My (Toronto) edition doesn't have that, unless I missed it, but I did see a full-page advert for the corridor service. It starts out with: "VIA Rail, now more than ever." That has two obvious meanings, but my first inference was that VIA is saying they have more trains than ever. After I stopped laughing, I read further: "More departures for more flexibility." Hmmm, obviously this wasn't meant for people interested in going to Sarnia, Niagara Falls, Halifax, Vancouver, and many more places.

The routes which are getting more service are listed and it shows the number of departures as 17 daily between Toronto and Montreal, Monday to Thursday and 18 on Fridays. It doesn't mention that about half of these trains operate via Ottawa and take up to seven hours, 28 minutes eastbound and up to eight hours, 21 minutes westbound. It doesn't mention that the last two Renaissance departures are being replaced by LRC trains so there won't be a single train with a lounge car. (Yes, I know: the Renaissance lounge on corridor trains is only for Business Class passengers, but such is life.) Much as I like train travel, seven-plus hours in an LRC or HEP-2 coach or even a Business/VIA 1 car without anywhere to go other than the toilet is no fun. I concede there is one advantage of the longer route if you are in Business Class: you do get a meal and drink service on each of the two segments Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 12:52 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 11/17/12 13:02
Re: VIA Advertisement in Globe and Mail
Author: andersonb109

Maybe it means take it "now more than ever" before it's canned all together! I haven't booked my annual trip yet do to lack of hockey (reason to go to Vancouver). If the NHL ever gets its act together, I'll be back.

Date: 11/17/12 19:11
Author: DrLoco

why wait for the NHL--the AHL is playing! I just listened to the Mariles beat up on the Ham-mie-town Bulldogs on XM.

Date: 11/17/12 21:16
Author: longhaul

The BC version has an ad for the Canadian and what appears to be a photo of the CP Canadian rounding a curve in winter.

Date: 11/18/12 08:40
Author: spdaylight

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It starts out with: "VIA Rail, now more than
> ever." That has two obvious meanings, but my
> first inference was that VIA is saying they have
> more trains than ever.

Actually I think Via had a typo in the ad . . . they just left a couple of key words out . . . '"now it takes more time than ever" . . .

Craig
http://www.mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 11/18/12 22:08
Author: telegraphboy

And I am booked for February. It may be the last.
But I will enjoy.
Sid.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds