Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Best We Could Do

Date: 12/17/12 17:57
The Best We Could Do
Author: tsokolan

Late August 2004 marked my first visit to the trackage of BC Rail. At that time, the storm clouds had arrived in the form of new ownership under the large umbrella of Canadian National. Myself and a railfan friend found ourselves in front of the Prince George Yardmaster trying to get permission to take a few photos. Many employees were visibly nervous at the presence of visitors, since there were new managers in place and everyone seemed worried about their future employment. After a few minutes, the Yardmaster allowed us to take some photos, but "Only from the road in front of the tower, and be quick about it." My friend stayed in the tower for a few more minutes trying to get further access to the property, but I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and hurried outside.

So here's the best I could do with what was given to me, a roster shot of BC Rial SD40-2 #763. Yes the sun is in the wrong side of the tracks, but at least I got some light on the nose! Looking back I'm glad I took this shot, as the former BCR SD's didn't last too long under CN, and now all have either been sold or scrapped.
-Trevor

Date: 12/18/12 08:55
Re: The Best We Could Do
Author: DundasMP23

I had a similar experience in Fond du Lac, WI shortly after CN had taken over the WC. We were granted a release to photograph on the property from the yard office, but were soon told by a guy at the shop that the yard office shouldn't have given the release and we were told to leave. I'm glad we had walked the deadline before heading towards the roundhouse.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds