Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Canadian Railroads > Huron Central Derailment

Date: 04/20/14 14:10
Huron Central Derailment
Author: robj

An email I received, have not heard prior about this. There was photo with of one unit in the ditch and another across the tracks.

Bob Jordan

- cut and paste of what I received.
HCRY DERAILMENT. A washout occurred on the Huron Central Railway on April 13th derailing a westbound train around 10:15 p.m.as it passed over the roadbed the track gaveway at a culvert at Mile 30, about three kilometres from Nairn Centre, causing three HCRY locomotives (HCRY 3011, two other units and one empty bulkhead flatcar to come off the rails. Mario Brault , president of Huron Central, said while the derailment is still being investigated, it appears to have been caused by unusually high water levels at the culvert. “Our employees got scared, obviously, but there were no injuries,” Brault said. “Everybody is sound and safe. But one of the locomotives is on its side and it let some quantity of fuel spill and this is what we're busy now doing, trying to contain the fuel spill.”

Date: 04/20/14 14:19
Re: Huron Central Derailment
Author: moonliter

I will post more on this after Easter dinner. The Huron Central started to replace the culvert at the washout site yesterday. I saw all three of the damaged units at Nairn Center.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/14 21:40 by moonliter.

Date: 04/20/14 22:30
Re: Huron Central Derailment
Author: moonliter

I stopped at Nairn Center Saturday afternoon to check on the derailment. I think I got the same email that Robj received. Here are a few photos all taken at Nairn Center.

Photo:1 Huron Central work train arriving with HC 3011 and CP bulkhead flat CP316319.

Photo:2 Quebec Gatineau 3800(ex CRIP 343)and Quebec Gatineau road slug 800(ex B&O 3825)built as a GP38.

Photo:3 New culvert and power shovel ready to go to the washout site. The shovel will be loaded on a rail sled and will ride the rails to the washout site. I saw
the sled arrive but did not have the time to watch it be placed on the rail and see the shovel on it.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds