Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian on Canada Day

Date: 07/02/14 14:51
The Canadian on Canada Day
Author: eminence_grise

My daughter and I went north to see what we could find on CN's Clearwater Subdivision after I got home for work. We heard Via 1 taking the siding at Vavenby to meet CN 316 so we headed into Birch Island where Via 1 again took the siding for a freight train. The train went on to head into the siding at Chu Chua for another meet. We stopped south of Clearwater to eat and still caught up to Via 1 at McLure where the train waited 30 minutes to meet CN 312. Via can easily make the trip from Jasper (departs at 1430 mountain time) to Kamloops (arrives 2309 Pacific Time) in the time allotted in the padded schedule.

The first image shows Via 1 at Birch Island (Mile 61.6 Clearwater Sub) at 7pm. It should be noted that Via 6459 is the former 6403 (renumbered 07/23/2013) following the release of the image on the new Canadian $10 bill of Via 6403.

The Panorama Dome car is seen at Clearwater. The video shows Via 1 at Clearwater Station Road in Clearwater.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 19:51 by eminence_grise.

Date: 07/02/14 16:04
Re: The Canadian on Canada Day
Author: spdaylight

Can't get much better than this . . . a transcontinental train with most of the coaches on this train built in the 50+ years ago and still looking great.

And Phil, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first video you've posted on TO . . . . or did I miss a couple of earlier ones recently . . . nicely done!

Craig
http://mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 07/02/14 19:37
Author: kingman

Why do Canadian trains seem so much better cared for and cleaner than ours. Just MYHO .

Date: 07/02/14 19:55
Author: eminence_grise

The videos are from my daughter, she does them for youtube.

Here is the train at 2130 departing McLure. The train had an hour and 39 minutes to make the last 20 miles of the Clearwater Sub. to Kamloops.

Date: 07/02/14 22:19
Author: ts1457

Wow, twenty-three cars!

Thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/03/14 07:28
Author: FiveChime

Great posting! Had no idea the train was running with so many cars on a regular basis.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/03/14 08:20
Author: ntharalson

Good stuff, thanks for posting!!!

Can we give VIA some credit here??? Four domes on the "Canadian" is a good thing.
when I rode the train in 1975, still a CP train then, it had only two, which was really
not enough for a train of taht size. And did VIA reconfigure the coach/coffee shop/domes?
When I rode the train, the coffee shop and dome were to the rear of center and the coach
seats forward. It appears in this video that has been reversed. Is that true?

Again, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/03/14 13:09
Author: DrawingroomA

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good stuff, thanks for posting!!!
>
> Can we give VIA some credit here??? Four domes on
> the "Canadian" is a good thing.
> when I rode the train in 1975, still a CP train
> then, it had only two, which was really
> not enough for a train of taht size. And did VIA
> reconfigure the coach/coffee shop/domes?
> When I rode the train, the coffee shop and dome
> were to the rear of center and the coach
> seats forward. It appears in this video that has
> been reversed. Is that true?
>
> Again, thanks for posting.
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Yes, VIA reversed the direction of the Skyline cars in the early 1980s. The coach seats were removed and replaced by six tables of four seats each. This became the off-season diner for several years until the upgraded Silver and Blue service was introduced in April 1992 and the full dining car restored on all trains. VIA wanted the dining section at the rear to provide easy access for sleeping car passengers. The seats in the dome, except for the front row, were reversed.

Date: 07/03/14 13:18
Author: 8notch

Thanks for sharing, 1 question about the engines headlights, should they be on in this video. also does the ditch lights flash back and forth like on Amtrak.
Robert.

Date: 07/03/14 18:31
Author: Lackawanna484

8notch Wrote:
> Thanks for sharing, 1 question about the engines
> headlights, should they be on in this video. also
> does the ditch lights flash back and forth like
> on Amtrak.
> Robert.

perhaps the Via train had dimmed his lights for a meet with a passing freight train

Date: 07/03/14 19:11
Author: 8notch

That's kinda what I was thinking too.
Thanks, robert

Date: 07/05/14 13:22
Author: routeof400

I think he forgot to turn them on since he was blowing for the crossing without the required lights displayed per the rules. Probably an old geezer hogger! lol

Date: 07/07/14 21:05
Author: chakk

ts1457 Wrote:
> Wow, twenty-three cars!
>
> Thanks for sharing.

including one baggage-dorm, 2 coaches, 3 Skyline domes, 2 diners, 10 Manor sleeping cars, 3 Chateau sleeping cars, one sightseeing car, and one Park dome observation car.

Date: 07/09/14 22:29
Author: ErieLimited54

Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0903 seconds