Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Canadian Railroads > Golfing with trains

Date: 08/20/14 16:43
Golfing with trains
Author: KickingHorse

In a recent thread I was lamenting that I hadn't seen a UP locomotive on the Laggan Sub in quite awhile. Lo and behold, on Monday night a westbound grain train is going by and the tail end remote is a UP! (Too dark and far away to catch the number).

Laggan Sub - ~Mile 69 - Tuesday August 19

So I'm out golfing on Tuesday evening and just for the heck of it, I put my camera in the cart too. Putt out for par on the 15th green and I hear a train a coming. Pull the camera out and get ............

Date: 08/20/14 18:46
Re: Golfing with trains
Author: Train611

Nice work...
Is that the course near Exshaw?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/21/14 01:25
Author: rschonfelder

I saw this train at Craigalichie (sp?) today (20th) around 1.00pm. Again I was surprised after seeing the Citibank loco the previous day, there was a little bit of variety.

Rick

Date: 08/21/14 01:26
Author: rschonfelder

Train611 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work...
> Is that the course near Exshaw?
> 611
>
> Posted from iPhone

Looks like Canmore from the mountains in the background.

Rick

Date: 08/21/14 07:11

Yup it is the Canmore Golf & Curling Club.

I am standing on the cartpath between the 15th green and 16th tee, looking across the 3rd fairway. The 'blue' flag is the 3rd green. The roof of the power cart you can see is the at the 4th tee box.

The train is on the main; the other track is the Canmore siding (mile 67.9 to mile 69.6). The mile 69 marker is around the 4th tee.

The course near Exshaw is the Kananaskis Ranch course. The tracks there are way on the other side of the river (reservoir behind Kananaskis/Seebe dam). The tracks cross the river to the north side a ways past the west end of the course and then run along the 1A highway to Exshaw and beyond.

Date: 08/21/14 11:44
Author: Thumper

OK, so what is par on that course and did you make par?
Obviously you won in the photographic department.

Wonder how many trains have beens struck by errant golf balls?

Date: 08/21/14 12:23

Par 71
No I didn't shoot par - 87

Trains hit by golf balls - 1000's

Quite a few years ago now but back before the trees grew up along the first 200+ yards, right side fairway #3, my brother-in-law hit his tee shot, sliced it and landed in a moving westbound sulphur gondola. Longest drive I've ever seen - over 700 miles!!!!

With the Canmore siding right there, there's often trains just stopped in the siding. Combine that with a possible wait on the 4th tee box and I'm sure lots of guys dig around in their bag for a crap ball or two .....
Bouncing one off an empty grain hopper is pretty loud!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/14 12:24 by KickingHorse.

Date: 08/22/14 15:17
Author: ironmtn

KickingHorse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Par 71
> No I didn't shoot par - 87
>
> Trains hit by golf balls - 1000's
>
> Quite a few years ago now but back before the
> trees grew up along the first 200+ yards, right
> side fairway #3, my brother-in-law hit his tee
> shot, sliced it and landed in a moving westbound
> sulphur gondola. Longest drive I've ever seen -
> over 700 miles!!!!
>
> With the Canmore siding right there, there's often
> trains just stopped in the siding. Combine that
> with a possible wait on the 4th tee box and I'm
> sure lots of guys dig around in their bag for a
> crap ball or two .....
> Bouncing one off an empty grain hopper is pretty
> loud!

Great post. I had a much needed laugh after an intense week at work. Thanks! Great way to start the weekend. But no, I won't be on the links.

So, an idea -- you or someone else take Canada, and I'll start the thread for the U.S.: which is the "golfing-est" railroad? By that I mean direct proximity to a golf course, as you've shown. You have a pretty easy choice between CN and CP for the most part. I may put the question to those of us south of the border in terms of former lines, not the current "big four" systems.

In any case, thanks for the neat images, and a needed chuckle.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/14 18:22 by ironmtn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0726 seconds