Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Canadian Railroads > Sorel sub: Transport Canada issues reduced speed order

Date: 08/25/14 16:08
Sorel sub: Transport Canada issues reduced speed order
Author: Ray_Murphy

Date: 08/25/14 17:14
Re: Sorel sub: Transport Canada issues reduced speed or
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for mentioning this. Looks like there's a six km segment of track resembling the MM&A over there...

>>As of late last week, all CN trains that pass through a specific six-kilometre stretch in Sorel-Tracy must reduce their speed to 16 kilometres per hour, down from the previous limit of 40 kilometres per hour. Railway speed limits, set by Transport Canada, vary across the island of Montreal and in the surrounding regions.<<

Date: 08/26/14 08:30
Author: co614

Watch out !! If you read the article you'll see that the local community has now formed a committee to study the whole issue of transporting " dangerous" commodities through its territory and is suggesting that even after CN completes the extensive track work that the speeds not be increased until the new committee has finished its " study" and made its recommendations. This is a sure fire way to get the gummit involved in running the railroad.

If I were CN I'd fight this hard and early as once they get their nose under the tent.....watch out !!

Ross Rowland

Date: 08/26/14 19:01
Author: Lackawanna484

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watch out !! If you read the article you'll see
> that the local community has now formed a
> committee to study the whole issue of transporting
> " dangerous" commodities through its territory and
> is suggesting that even after CN completes the
> extensive track work that the speeds not be
> increased until the new committee has finished its
> " study" and made its recommendations. This is a
> sure fire way to get the gummit involved in
> running the railroad.
>
> If I were CN I'd fight this hard and early as
> once they get their nose under the tent.....watch
> out !!
>
> Ross Rowland

That camel is already sniffing the tent flaps, I'd say.

In the Lac Megantic review, Transport Canada received almost as much criticism for its sloppy conduct as did the MM&A. I can't imagine anybody left there (regulators, government bureaucracy, low incentive to take risks) is going to recommend anything serious now. And, get the local MP involved in his or her riding's questions, and parliament will be "doing something about the problem"

Never a good sign...

Date: 08/27/14 21:51
Author: DavidP

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Watch out !! If you read the article you'll see
> that the local community has now formed a
> committee to study the whole issue of transporting
> " dangerous" commodities through its territory and
> is suggesting that even after CN completes the
> extensive track work that the speeds not be
> increased until the new committee has finished its
> " study" and made its recommendations. This is a
> sure fire way to get the gummit involved in
> running the railroad.
>
> If I were CN I'd fight this hard and early as
> once they get their nose under the tent.....watch
> out !!
>
> Ross Rowland

On the other hand, lack of effective government oversight didn't serve the citizens of Lac Megantic very well. Let's hope the regulators and industry get together on sensible changes that enhance safety rather than just providing window dressing.

Dave

Date: 08/30/14 07:14
Author: eminence_grise

Sorel is a small city on the south shore of the St.Lawrence River where the Richelieu River joins the main river.

The Richelieu River was the trade route that explorers and later settlers followed from the Hudson River to access this part of Canada. Later, a canal linked the two river systems making this an early and important trade route.

Sorel/Tracy became a port for trans loading goods from canal boats to ocean going vessels. In the last century, it became a ship building location which also built railcars. Sorel still competes with Montreal as a port.

Railways soon replaced the river and canal for transporting goods from the US to Sorel. In the 1870's, a variety of short lines were built along the south shore of the St.Lawrence, one of which was a Rutland Railway subsidiary. Finally, they were consolidated into the Quebec,Montreal and Southern, a Delaware & Hudson Subsidiary. The QM&S was sold to the CN in 1926.

Much of the former QM&S was abandoned,but the Sorel Sub. remains.

Sorel remains an active port, which sees large quantities of crude oil trans hipped from railcars to ships by Suncorp Energy (Sunoco).

The civic authorities of Sorel and surrounding towns want the shipments to continue and are concerned with the track conditions on portions of the CN Sorel Sub. The TSB report on the Megantic incident details the lack of a safety culture on the part of Governments, railways and regulators in regard to the transportation of crude oil by rail. The same report details changes that have taken place or are recommended regarding crude oil transport by rail. I think the authorities in Sorel are making sure that continued deliveries of crude oil to their port from trans shipment continue in a safe manner.

With a Federal election pending, and the possible election of a Quebec friendly Prime Minister (Trudeau) and leader of the opposition (Mulclair), many civic authorities and others are preparing to work with a future Federal Government lead by a Prime Minister who is not funded and supported by big oil companies.

Sorel has followed the conclusions around the Megantic incident closely . The routing via the Port of Sorel of the oil now carried through Megantic would be feasible as the Irving Oil refinery in Saint John NB is also connected to an ocean port.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/14 10:27 by eminence_grise.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0912 seconds