Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Canadian Railroads > Silver Streak

Date: 08/26/14 09:56
Silver Streak
Author: CANUCK

The movie Silver Streak, a long time favorite of mine, was shot in Southern Alberta with the "big city" sequences, aside from the opening portion, shot in Calgary. It featured Alyth Yard, of course pre-EHH. The jump from the roof of the train landed the stunt men in the Elbow River in downtown Calgary. The Badlands around Drumheller, AB featured prominently.
Much to my wife's chagrin, any time Silver Streak runs on TV I will watch it!
Calgary is, after all, my home town.
Canuck (in California)

Date: 08/26/14 10:25
Re: Silver Streak
Author: dendavis

Great film, even after all these years. Notwithstanding the wonderful train shots, the scene with Richard Pryor's character trying to teach Gene Wilder's character to be "black" still makes my stomach hurt from laughing.

Date: 08/26/14 11:44
Author: tomstp

A real good flick!

Date: 08/26/14 12:38
Author: rev66vette

My wife also goes bonkers when Silver Streak comes on!

Date: 08/27/14 04:54
Author: junctiontower

MY wife loves the movie almost as much as I do. We ALWAYS watch it when we find it on TV. We also watch the DVD at least once a year.

Date: 08/27/14 17:25
Author: rschonfelder

dendavis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great film, even after all these years.
> Notwithstanding the wonderful train shots, the
> scene with Richard Pryor's character trying to
> teach Gene Wilder's character to be "black" still
> makes my stomach hurt from laughing.

"Why do all of you whitey's have such a tight a$$?"

Great movie. I've always wanted to model Carmangay grain elevators with a red Jag going by.

Rick

Date: 08/28/14 11:53
Author: M-420

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dendavis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> "Why do all of you whitey's have such a tight
> a$$?"
>
> Rick

George Caldwell: "I've never milked a cow before."

Rita: "Cut the gas, Steve, you're a grown man. I'm sure you've had some similar experience."

Date: 08/29/14 06:24
Author: 3rdswitch

Agree, great flick as was the original B&W "Silver Streak" also a must see. Strangely, I believe at least one of the scenes of Gene walking along the tracks, I think not lone before meeting the flying lady and milks the cow, is along the UP LA Salt Lake City main? The pole line as well as the excellent track make me think this?
JB

Date: 08/30/14 01:33
Author: Red

I absolutely love the opening sequence (or shortly after) as the train is moving out, and the hogger is shown widening out on the throttle and it then cuts to very visible wheelslip from the lead FP-9A. I understand that this lead unit is still in service, but I forget where.

Date: 09/01/14 16:18
Author: Espee1212

A portion of the movie was also shot in downtown Brea CA, long before the renovation that decimated the downtown. The sheriff's office was the old Chamber of Commence on Ash street with the one scene with them fleeing shot from the old Canning's Hardware (my 1st job).

Date: 09/02/14 09:06
Author: march_hare

Thanks for the info on Drumheller. I've watched that movie dozens of times, often wondered where in Canada they found a landscape that matched the desert southwest so well.

Favorite moment: in the bar car, discussing the dating implications of train movement--"there's something about the motion." There may actually be something to that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/14 07:35 by march_hare.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.291 seconds