Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Canadian Railroads > Steam in Canada!

Date: 09/10/14 14:15
Steam in Canada!
Author: Keystone1

Well...that sure got everyone's attention. I am always over on the steam side of T.O. I thought I would venture over here for once. Is there any steam going on in Toronto, St. Thomas, Montreal, Ottawa ? Anywhere? 20 years ago, I could go up from the States twice a month and see steam running. Anything? Anywhere today? Thanks guys.

Date: 09/10/14 17:03
Re: Steam in Canada!
Author: agentatascadero

Keystone, Your title would make sense IF that exclamation point were a question mark. I clicked on this thinking you had some sort of breathless and excited announcement....not an aimless question pretending to be a statement. I do believe steam runs regularly in BC and Alberta. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/10/14 17:35
Author: agentatascadero

One more thing, if you scroll down two days to 9/814...you'll see a very nice thread on.....you guessed it....steam in Canada. AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 09/10/14 20:56
Author: Train611

Heritage Park in Calgary just finished (9/1/14) four months of 7 day/week running of an 0-6-0. Running weekends until mid-October. Some great photo ops.

Railway Days at the end of September will see the planned running of both the 0-6-0's.

A very good and well maintained operation.

If you get there,
Have fun.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/10/14 21:13
Author: eminence_grise

With the end of the summer tourist season, most remaining preserved steam has been put away until 2015, except for some possible Halloween trains, and Christmas trains.

I'm not sure there is any planned main line steam operation anywhere in Canada.

CP seems to have concentrated on the high end tourism and corporate market for CP 2816 and its vintage equipment. There don't seem to be many takers. I don't know if this is because CP is not offering, or customers are not enquiring.

Original steam qualified operating crew are getting few and far between due to advancing age, and there has not been enough steam operation to keep newly qualified steam crewmen working, even as volunteers or employees.

I think it will be tourist lines and museums who will provide any steam operation in Canada over the next few decades.

Date: 09/11/14 11:49
Author: Finderskeepers

Waterloo Central just finished running an excursion on Labour day weekend with Essex Terminal #9
http://waterloocentralrailway.com/discover/rail-fans/

Also I'm pretty sure South Simcoe still operates Canadian Pacific 136 on Sundays and Holiday Mondays
http://www.southsimcoerailway.ca/planning.htm

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/14 11:55 by Finderskeepers.

Date: 09/11/14 12:08
Author: Finderskeepers

eminence_grise
> CP seems to have concentrated on the high end
> tourism and corporate market for CP 2816 and its
> vintage equipment. There don't seem to be many
> takers. I don't know if this is because CP is not
> offering, or customers are not enquiring.

To my knowledge the 2816 has not operated since June of 2011. As far as I know there isn't a current steam program at CP and likely won't be until there is a change of leadership at the top.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/11/14 20:23
Author: RuleG

Is there any hope of the Hull–Chelsea–Wakefield Railway returning to operation?

Date: 09/12/14 11:48
Author: tsokolan

Train611 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heritage Park in Calgary just finished (9/1/14)
> four months of 7 day/week running of an 0-6-0.
> Running weekends until mid-October. Some great
> photo ops.
>
> Railway Days at the end of September will see the
> planned running of both the 0-6-0's.
>
> A very good and well maintained operation.
>
> If you get there,
> Have fun.
>
> 611
>
> Posted from iPhone

They only have one true STEAM 0-6-0 in operation at the park. One of the loco saws converted to diesel power several years ago. Seriously......
Trevor

Date: 09/12/14 19:32
Author: Train611

There are two operating steam locomotives.
And yes, one had a diesel/transmission installed.
Not operated on a daily basis.

2023 and 2024 (true steam locomotives) operated regularly through the season.
Seriously!!!

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0688 seconds