Home Open Account Help 143 users online

Canadian Railroads > UPX 1001/1002

Date: 09/25/14 18:02
UPX 1001/1002
Author: hepc46

Had the opportunity to catch some of the testing of the new Union Station - Pearson Airport Express (UPX) DMU's on the Kingston Sub. 1001/1002 are the first pair of DMU's delivered, and are supposed to start operating on the Union-Pearson line, which is still under construction along the ex-CN Weston Sub. The line breaks off at hwy 427 and heads south to the airport on a newly constructed double track bridge. The construction extends from mile 1.3 Weston Sub at the junction to the Oakville Sub to Halwest, the junction with the Halton Sub. The construction includes grade separation on all the road crossings, and eliminated the West Toronto Diamond crossing of the CP. The line is 8 tracks wide under Strachan Ave, and varies along the route from 8 to 3, with the majority being 4 tracks. When finished, the Weston Sub will carry trains from GO and VIA (which it currently handles) CN for interchange, and the new UPX, which plans to run 15-20 minute trains during peak hours. This has been a huge project, and when finished will finally give Toronto a link to the airport, much like every other major City in North America.

Ken

Date: 09/26/14 14:28
Re: UPX 1001/1002
Author: rschonfelder

Without trying to be offensive, can I ask, what "major cities in North America" have a rail link - especially with the word "every" in front? I find this comment surprising because I would have thought it better to substitute "Europe" in there. The only one I know of is SFO in the west but definitely have not travelled in the Eastern USA.

Can you give us some insight on the design and construction of the units in the photo? It looks European to me.

Thanks,
Rick

Date: 09/26/14 21:24
Author: davew833

Salt Lake City, Utah has light rail service to the airport that opened within the last year.

Date: 09/27/14 00:38
Author: JGFuller

Portland, Los Angeles [bus shuttle], Minneapolis-St. Paul, Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Phoenix, San Francisco, Oakland [under construction], New York, Atlanta, Baltimore, Washington, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary [bus shuttle] ... which ones did I miss?

Date: 09/27/14 05:02
Author: Ray_Murphy

Date: 09/27/14 10:01

Aw, shucks - I knew about Philadelphia - forgot to list it. One of only a few cities where the airport rail access is commute trains, rather than rapid transit. One could also list San Francisco, using Caltrain to Mil;brae, then the BART connection to SFO.

Date: 09/27/14 15:46

OK so the next question over these train journey's to or from the airport, does any of them charge a premium fee for getting off or on at the Airport? Here in Australia, Sydney charges around $17 extra to use the train to or from either the Domestic or International terminal. I think it is free between terminals for transit passengers.

Melbourne is campaigning here for the development of their link and I am expecting they will embrace anything which is a revenue raiser (judging from the amount of red light and speed cameras they have).

Perth has a Bus terminal at the airport - no rail. Unsure about the rest. Taxi companies hate Airport links.

Rick

Date: 09/27/14 16:00

JGFuller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Portland, Los Angeles , Minneapolis-St. Paul,
> Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Phoenix, San
> Francisco, Oakland , New York, Atlanta, Baltimore,
> Washington, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Vancouver,
> Calgary ... which ones did I miss?

When did LAX have connections? Is it possible to make a connection to Amtrak?

Thanks for the info on the thread.

Rick

Date: 09/27/14 20:16
Author: nicknack

Denver will have one to Denver International Airport in 2016

http://www.rtd-denver.com/EastRailLine.shtml

Date: 09/28/14 08:44
Author: PHall

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JGFuller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Portland, Los Angeles , Minneapolis-St. Paul,
> > Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, Phoenix, San
> > Francisco, Oakland , New York, Atlanta,
> Baltimore,
> > Washington, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Vancouver,
> > Calgary ... which ones did I miss?
>
>
> When did LAX have connections? Is it possible to
> make a connection to Amtrak?
>
> Thanks for the info on the thread.
>
> Rick

LAX Flyaway Busses run from Union Station to LAX. It's about a 500 foot connection.

Date: 09/28/14 21:59

There is a free bus shuttle from Aviation station on the Green line to LAX. http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=1240

It's roundabout from downtown [Union Station - Red line - 7 and Flower - Blue line - Willowbrook - Green line - Aviation - LAX shuttle - LAX]
The Flyaway bus is probably quicker - but subject to the vagaries of LA freeway woes.

The Metro light rail described above provides a ride on which one can depend - and also offers access from points in LA other than downtown. I've used it - it works.

And you get a ride on the Pacific Electric "4-track main" south of Washington Blvd.!
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9532802,-118.243338,3a,75y,201.66h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJgyOMY4Tbhj9ieUuFZL8TA!2e0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/14 22:07 by JGFuller.

Date: 09/29/14 22:32
Author: mundo

Dallas just got service.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds